Installing Julia 0.4

I need to debug some legacy Julia package developed for Julia 0.4. What is the best way to install Julia 0.4 on macOS 10.13 (High Sierra, the most recent macOS)? I tried several methods, but none of them worked.

• I checked out the “release-0.4” branch of the JuliaLang/julia GitHub repository, but building it failed with an error. (This is the way I usually build versions > 0.4 successfully.)
  • I downloaded the v0.4.7 tarball from https://julialang.org/downloads/oldreleases.html/, but building it also failed with an error.
  • I downloaded the v0.4.7 disk image (dmg) from https://julialang.org/downloads/oldreleases.html/ and installed the app from it, but executing the app does not start REPL in Terminal.

I will appreciate any suggestions!

Maybe go the other way around, install the latest stable Julia (v0.62) and try to bring that old code up to date?

Posting the errors might help others to figure out how fix it.

Any chance you can try this on an older OS? It is unlikely a software will work on an OS released 3 years after the software itself was released. I have the 0.4 binaries running on ElCapitan, and it works pretty well. An older linux would work as well.

The Linux 0.4 binaries work fine in a Ubuntu 16.04 VM for example.

Version 0.5 may also be worth a try (especially if you know that the code runs flawlessly under 0.4; that is not evident to me from your post though)

Julia v0.4 works fine on my mac High Sierra (10.13.3). I’m running version v0.4.7

Julia Version 0.4.7
Commit ae26b25 (2016-09-18 16:17 UTC)

I still have the installation file (dmg) that seems different from the one you refer to:

MD5 (julia-0.4.7-osx10.7+.dmg) = 97386dd1cc38971173de7a533865de73

If you want I can upload it somewhere for you, just send me a private message.

I recently built 0.4 on macOS 10.13.3. I started with julia-0.4.7-full.tar.gz. I compiled with:

make  OPENBLAS_TARGET_ARCH=NEHALEM

Thanks, all! I used @jmkuhn’s method and was able to build v0.4.7 successfully.

Sorry, I was building a wrong version. The problem persists. This is the error I got with @jmkuhn’s method:

~/packages/julia/julia-0.4.7/usr/lib/libprofile_rt.a
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   357  100   357    0     0   2313      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  2364
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
  0     0    0     0    0     0      0      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--     0
curl: (22) The requested URL returned error: 404 Not Found
make[1]: *** [pcre2-10.20.tar.bz2] Error 22
make: *** [julia-deps] Error 2

This means that curl (the download command-line tool) cannot access the url pointing, presumably, to pcre2-10.20.tar.bz2. Your internet connection works and no firewall is interfering?

Considering the imminent release of 0.7 and its special nature as containing the last breaking language changes until 2.0, I feel compelled to suggest that you redirect whatever time and effort you would spend getting 0.4 to work into getting your code working on 0.6 or later.

@yakir12, @ExpandingMan, that’s exactly what I am trying to do. I am trying to update someone else’s code written for v0.4. I want to update it for v0.6, my preferred version. For that, I am preparing the environment where the old code runs (= Julia v0.4), so that I can compare the results of the old code with the new updated code.

@mauro3, my Internet connection works (as I am posting these messages now), but I’m not sure about firewall… Is there any way to reveal the URL it is trying to access?

If you’re having trouble running v0.4 on your current OS, it might be easiest just to use a different OS. In particular, I know that the official Julia v0.4 binaries work just fine on Ubuntu 16.04. I would suggest using Ubuntu inside Docker on your mac as a way to get a nice, self-contained copy of v0.4 running.

If you download:

https://github.com/JuliaLang/julia/releases/download/v0.4.7/julia-0.4.7-full.tar.gz

This already contains pcre2-10.20.tar.bz2 so you won’t need to download using curl during the build process

@jmkuhn, thanks a lot! This time it worked flawlessly!!!