Installing from JuliaPro by Julia Computing. Where are all the packages?

Hello I have installed JulioPro from JuliaComputing.

The site says it has lots and lots of packages.

They seem to be there in a number of sub directories.

when I type in Pkg RELP

status

it only shows 4 or 5.

For example I do see “datastructures” as a package related directory somewhere in the installation path.

But I have to do

add datastructures

to get that show up on

status

Is there more I need to do after the install of JuliaPro to have the additional installed packages show up for “using”

Appreciate your help
Satya

1 Like

]add PkgName

Hello, thanks for responding.

Installation seem to have installed all those packages.

Do I need to explicitly add them?

1. where does Julia look for available packages alrerady due to installation?
  2. is there a file system path where Julia will look for installed packages? Or do they have to be in project.toml
  3. Is “install/download” separate from “add”
  4. I see the added package due to (add package) in project.toml and only a handful
  5. what do installation programs like “JuliaPro” make their libraries available on the local installation? instead of going to the web to download them
  6. is add package necessary even though the package was installed by the installation program?

Thanks a lot for helping

1 Like

This answers most of your questions:
https://juliacomputing.com/blog/2018/10/16/juliapro.html

A similar thread about this issue (that also included that link):

The only question not covered there is:

Project.toml has the list of direct dependencies in the environment (those that you can load with using or import, and can also see in ]status). Installed packages also include indirect dependencies, which are listed in Manifest.toml.

All added packages and their dependencies are installed in .julia/packages, if you want to know the path to them, but you shouldn’t normally have to deal with that. You can leave the job to the Julia package manager.

More about this in the Julia manual:
https://docs.julialang.org/en/v1/manual/code-loading/

Somethings are still unclear. (I will persist…and see where it takes and hope to post it here what i find to help other starters)

where is (in what configuration file) the DEPOT_PATH placed by JuliaPro installation?

Also what is “precompile_all_packages.bat”?

Ok.

Depot_path is formulated this way

1. ~/.julia where ~ is the user home as appropriate on the system;
  2. an architecture-specific shared system directory, e.g. /usr/local/share/julia;
  3. an architecture-independent shared system directory, e.g. /usr/share/julia.

From docs at

https://docs.julialang.org/en/v1/base/constants/#Base.Sys.MACHINE

wonder if some one can put a short right up connecting

depot_path
registries
environments
manifest.toml
project.toml
install vs add packages
what should one care and what is internal
overview of quick installation directory of Julia or JuliaPro

For starters.

The correct link should be:
https://docs.julialang.org/en/v1/base/constants/#Base.DEPOT_PATH

Nevertheless, what you cite is the default value (which may change in some configurations). The best way to know where DEPOT_PATH points at is just looking its values in a Julia session:

julia> DEPOT_PATH

That is correct. your URL.

Although i can see DEPOT_PATH, how is this set? where is this set when it is not the default.

for instance for juliaPro install it is showing as

~/.juliaPro

A short answer to your last question is that you can modify the DEPOT_PATH with environment variables - see the links in the manual and the reference above.

But since you were also asking for tips “for starters”, I’d say that modifying DEPOT_PATH is not the most recommendable exercise for starters. Normally everything should work fine leaving it as it is.

I think that this applies specially if you are using Julia Pro: that’s a distribution of Julia that I think is specially useful for that type of users who don’t want to do any kind of hacking to have an IDE, or deal with broken packages, etc. That kind of user I’m thinking on, doesn’t want to touch the package depot either. (Well, another type of Julia Pro users would be those working in some context that makes worthwhile to pay for Julia Computing’s support, but in that case you could ask them directly.) :wink:

Although i can see DEPOT_PATH, how is this set?

JuliaPro DEPOT_PATH is set in your startup.jl, exact location of this file can be found by executing following command in JuliaPro REPL

normpath(joinpath(Sys.BINDIR,"..","etc","julia","startup.jl"))

Its recommended not to edit this file in your JuliaPro installation, please use (Create) following file if you need to add any functionality in your JuliaPro startup

<HOME-DIRECTORY>\\.julia\\config\\startup.jl
1 Like

Thank you very much.

I will follow up.

I am not intending to change anything. I just want to understand. Packages and how they behave (as they are the basic libraries) for I think that is 101.

Looks like the tentacles are a bit deep and is in many places.

I thought a pre-configured install like JuliaPro would help.

I will keep looking.

Thanks again.

Harsha,
How and where can I search for a package using wild cards?

Ex: search “file” # Show me packages that have “file” in their name

is this done in online registries on the web? or is there a way to do this on the julia command line?

You can search for packages using juliahub. I dont know of a method to search for packages you have installed locally like that, unfortunately. Perhaps Pkg.installed()?

I wanted to install the packages in a specific directory on a specific drive (here I). Regarding the package directory I solved it like this:
startup.jl

If you want to understand, I think the best place to learn is the documentation pages of the package manager: 1. Introduction · Pkg.jl

But I’m afraid that this is not material “for starters”. For them, I’d rather recommend the more basic summary in the Julia manual: Pkg · The Julia Language

1 Like