Installing DifferentialEquations on JuliaPro

I am having trouble installing DifferentialEquations from JuliaPro on Ubuntu 18.10. I get the following build errors.

The First one is for SymEngine, it is an issue with tar not being able to unpack the necessary files. There is an issue open on their repository, but there is no fix that I could find.

┌ Warning: platform_key() is deprecated, use platform_key_abi() from now on
│ caller = ip:0x0
└ @ Core :-1
[ Info: JuliaTeam: redirecting https://github.com/symengine/SymEngineBuilder/releases/download/v0.3.0-2/build_SymEngine.v0.3.0.jl to https://pkg.juliacomputing.com/binary/SymEngineBuilder/v0.3.0-2/build_SymEngine.v0.3.0.jl
[ Info: JuliaTeam: redirecting https://github.com/symengine/SymEngineBuilder/releases/download/v0.3.0-2/SymEngine.v0.3.0.x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.gz to https://pkg.juliacomputing.com/binary/SymEngineBuilder/v0.3.0-2/SymEngine.v0.3.0.x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.gz
ERROR: LoadError: LoadError: Could not unpack /home/gremble/.juliapro/packages/SymEngine/sh7Yz/deps/symengine-0.3/downloads/SymEngine.v0.3.0.x86_64-linux-gnu.tar.gz into /home/gremble/.juliapro/packages/SymEngine/sh7Yz/deps/symengine-0.3
Stacktrace:
[1] error(::String) at ./error.jl:33
[2] #unpack#98(::Bool, ::Function, ::String, ::String) at /home/julia/worker/juliapro-release-centos7-0_6/build/tmp_julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/BinaryProvider/src/PlatformEngines.jl:667
[3] #unpack at ./none:0 [inlined]
[4] macro expansion at ./logging.jl:320 [inlined]
[5] #install#133(::Prefix, ::String, ::Bool, ::Bool, ::Bool, ::Function, ::String, ::String) at /home/julia/worker/juliapro-release-centos7-0_6/build/tmp_julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/BinaryProvider/src/Prefix.jl:319
[6] (::getfield(BinaryProvider, Symbol(“#kw##install”)))(::NamedTuple{(:prefix, :force, :verbose),Tuple{Prefix,Bool,Bool}}, ::typeof(install), ::String, ::String) at ./none:0
[7] top-level scope at string:36
[8] include_string(::Module, ::String, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1008
[9] include_string(::Module, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1012
[10] top-level scope at /home/gremble/.juliapro/packages/SymEngine/sh7Yz/deps/build.jl:31
[11] include at ./boot.jl:317 [inlined]
[12] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1044
[13] include(::Module, ::String) at ./sysimg.jl:29
[14] include(::String) at ./client.jl:392
[15] top-level scope at none:0
in expression starting at string:32
in expression starting at /home/gremble/.juliapro/packages/SymEngine/sh7Yz/deps/build.jl:21
tar: ./share: Cannot unlink: Directory not empty
tar: ./share/doc: Cannot unlink: Directory not empty
tar: ./include: Cannot unlink: Directory not empty
tar: ./manifests: Cannot unlink: Directory not empty
tar: ./logs: Cannot unlink: Directory not empty
tar: ./lib: Cannot unlink: Directory not empty
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

The second issue is when building RandomNumbers I get the following error. I have attempted to search for the problems online, but nothing came up.

fatal: error thrown and no exception handler available.
InitError(mod=:MbedTLS, error=MethodError(f=typeof(Base.Filesystem.joinpath)(), args=(nothing, “…”, “…”, “deps”, “usr”, “lib”), world=0x00000000000067dc))
rec_backtrace at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/src/stackwalk.c:94
record_backtrace at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/src/task.c:246
jl_throw at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/src/task.c:577
jl_method_error_bare at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/src/gf.c:1616
jl_method_error at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/src/gf.c:1634
jl_apply_generic at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/src/gf.c:2161
init at /home/julia/worker/juliapro-release-centos7-0_6/build/tmp_julia/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/MbedTLS/src/MbedTLS.jl:61
jfptr___init___7739 at /home/gremble/julia/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/Julia/lib/julia/sys.so (unknown line)
jl_apply_generic at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/src/gf.c:2184
jl_apply at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/src/julia.h:1537 [inlined]
jl_module_run_initializer at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/src/toplevel.c:90
_julia_init at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/src/init.c:813
julia_init__threading at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/src/task.c:302
main at /buildworker/worker/package_linux64/build/ui/repl.c:227
__libc_start_main at /build/glibc-B9XfQf/glibc-2.28/csu/…/csu/libc-start.c:308
_start at /home/gremble/julia/JuliaPro-1.0.2.1/Julia/bin/julia (unknown line)

I am at a bit of a loss as to how I should continue. I have tried circumventing the JuliaPro repository by directly downloading from the git repo of DifferentialEquations, but this did not seem to work either.

We are removing SymEngine from DifferentialEquations.jl v6.0 so that we won’t have any more issues with this. Sorry for the inconvenience. I hope that we release this in less than 2 weeks.

1 Like

Okay cool. Do you have anything that I can help with? I am a bit new to Julia but I am quite keen to contribute.

It should work on on the branch for trim dependencies by ChrisRackauckas · Pull Request #418 · SciML/DifferentialEquations.jl · GitHub , so try ]add DifferentialEquations#trim

We have a lot going on with JuliaDiffEq and we can coach you. Just join the #diffeq-bridged channel in the Julia Slack (see Community ) for the development discussion.

For this though, surprisingly working on a major version of DiffEq proper is probably the most difficult part since it involves syncing up a ton of different packages in a uniform manner. That said, there’s a lot that needs to be done and we can always use the help, and there are many entry points.

DiffEq v6.0 no longer requires SymEngine by default so this should no longer be a problem. I would recommend going back to the standard installation with ]free DifferentialEquations

1 Like