Initial "] update" fails on Windows 10 Pro with Julia 1.1.1

We just received a nice new Windows 10 Pro computer and my first step was to setup Julia 1.1.1. It installed without a problem but fails on the initial ] update. It gives me the following error.

ERROR: failed to clone from https://github.com/JuliaRegistries/General.git, error: GitError(Code:ERROR, Class:OS, failed to connect to github.com: )

Out institute has an automatic proxy. The same setup procedure works on other Windows 10 Pro computers on the same network. I’ve tried following this post in case that might help.

What is wrong or how can I further diagnose the problem?

I would install Git then open a Powershell.
git clone https://github.com/JuliaRegistries/General.git

ie test from command line outside of Julia. I have Windows 10 Home on my laptop.

https doesn’t work but for some reason http does. This is only via the Windows command line.

git clone http://github.com/JuliaRegistries/General.git

It’s still not a good solution because I still have to be able to install the various packages and it must work for other uses on the same computer.

I tried setting it to default to http but that doesn’t seem to have taken either.

git config --global url."http://".insteadOf git://

If I get it to somehow work I’ll post the answer here.

Update: Now git:// works but Julia defaults to https://. :unamused:

johnh suggested a workaround in an answer to another of my posts. It works in a try statement for my initial setup script.

using Pkg
try
	Pkg.update()
catch
	Pkg.setprotocol!("git")
	Pkg.update()
end

If I find an answer to the root problem I will still post it here.

Here is additional information for the computer in question.

Windows 10.0.17763
Julia Version 1.1.1
Commit 55e36cc308 (2019-05-16 04:10 UTC)
Platform Info:
	OS: Windows (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
	CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
	WORD_SIZE: 64
	LIBM: libopenlibm
	LLVM: libLLVM-6.0.1 (ORCJIT, skylake)