IJulia installation issue

New user. Problem with building IJulia:

Pkg.build(“IJulia”)

Building Conda ──→ ~/.julia/packages/Conda/a196m/deps/build.log

┌ Error: Error building Conda:

ERROR: LoadError: ArgumentError: isdefined: too few arguments (expected 2)

Stacktrace:

[1] top-level scope at none:0

type or paste code here

[2] include at ./boot.jl:317 [inlined]

[3] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1038

[4] include(::Module, ::String) at ./sysimg.jl:29

[5] include(::String) at ./client.jl:388

[6] top-level scope at none:0

in expression starting at /Users/orion/.julia/packages/Conda/a196m/deps/build.jl:7

@ Pkg.Operations /Users/osx/buildbot/slave/package_osx64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/Operations.jl:1068

Building MbedTLS → ~/.julia/packages/MbedTLS/Qo8TN/deps/build.log

Building ZMQ ────→ ~/.julia/packages/ZMQ/GA4Xh/deps/build.log

Building IJulia ─→ ~/.julia/packages/IJulia/9RcVi/deps/build.log

┌ Error: Error building IJulia:

ERROR: LoadError: Conda is not properly configured. Run Pkg.build(“Conda”) before importing the Conda module.

Stacktrace:

[1] error(::String) at ./error.jl:33

[2] top-level scope at /Users/orion/.julia/packages/Conda/a196m/src/Conda.jl:27

[3] include at ./boot.jl:317 [inlined]

[4] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1038

[5] include(::Module, ::String) at ./sysimg.jl:29

[6] top-level scope at none:2

[7] eval at ./boot.jl:319 [inlined]

[8] eval(::Expr) at ./client.jl:389

[9] top-level scope at ./none:3

in expression starting at /Users/orion/.julia/packages/Conda/a196m/src/Conda.jl:23

ERROR: LoadError: Failed to precompile Conda [8f4d0f93-b110-5947-807f-2305c1781a2d] to /Users/orion/.julia/compiled/v1.0/Conda/WZE3U.ji.

Stacktrace:

[1] error(::String) at ./error.jl:33

[2] macro expansion at ./logging.jl:313 [inlined]

[3] compilecache(::Base.PkgId, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1184

[4] _require(::Base.PkgId) at ./logging.jl:311

[5] require(::Base.PkgId) at ./loading.jl:852

[6] macro expansion at ./logging.jl:311 [inlined]

[7] require(::Module, ::Symbol) at ./loading.jl:834

[8] include at ./boot.jl:317 [inlined]

[9] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1038

[10] include(::Module, ::String) at ./sysimg.jl:29

[11] include(::String) at ./client.jl:388

[12] top-level scope at none:0

in expression starting at /Users/orion/.julia/packages/IJulia/9RcVi/deps/build.jl:2

@ Pkg.Operations /Users/osx/buildbot/slave/package_osx64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.0/Pkg/src/Operations.jl:1068

When I build Conda:

Building Conda → ~/.julia/packages/Conda/a196m/deps/build.log

┌ Error: Error building Conda:

ERROR: LoadError: ArgumentError: isdefined: too few arguments (expected 2)

Stacktrace:

[1] top-level scope at none:0

[2] include at ./boot.jl:317 [inlined]

[3] include_relative(::Module, ::String) at ./loading.jl:1038

[4] include(::Module, ::String) at ./sysimg.jl:29

[5] include(::String) at ./client.jl:388

[6] top-level scope at none:0

in expression starting at /Users/orion/.julia/packages/Conda/a196m/deps/build.jl:7

Thank you for the help!

This looks very much the same as the problem I had yesterday and earlier today while installing IJulia. Since then I kept a Julia terminal open and did
pkg> up
every couple of hours. Half an hour ago, an update finally happened, my conda is now 1.0.1. This resolved the installation issue with IJulia. I can now launch IJulia, but I can’t seem to be able to get the kernel to do anything.
So I guess I will revert to updating my packages every now and then and I will keep my Julia 0.6.4 around for a while, it seems that some packages will need to be updated to work well with Julia 1.0.0

Hi Michal,

Thanks very much for sharing your experience! Are you suggesting that this is an issue of incomptibility between IJulia and Julia 1.0? My additional worry is that I’ve already installed conda (via Anaconda) before I downloaded Julia — so is Julia compiling a new conda in its own environment or trying to link to the existing one? Is this why the conda build inside Julia fails? I am not really sure what is going on.

Michal Dostál julialang@discoursemail.com于2018年8月10日 周五下午4:24写道:

Given that Julia 1.0.0 was released a few days ago, yes, I think it is not beyond imagination that some issues in packages may need to be ironed out in the coming days. The problem I saw with installation of conda and IJulia went away after upgrading Julia’s conda to 1.0.1.
Regarding your question about your existing conda installation versus Julia, you can check the instructions here:
https://github.com/JuliaLang/IJulia.jl ,
the default, which I am using too, is to leave your existing conda alone and create Julia’s own installation.

1 Like

Hi Michal,

The issue has been solved after Conda in Julia updated itself today. Thank you for your answers!

Best,

Ziye