IJulia install issue

No expert here but I stumbled over something called

powershell execution policy

Maybe thats causing troubles.

Hi @oheil, I checked the powershell execution policy. It is set as Unrestricted for Local Machine.

What Iā€™m wondering reading above posts is the administrator thing. There is no need to run anything as administrator. Just download and install Julia as the user you are. Everything is installed per default in your users home, this is for Julia 1.5 in Windows in
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia\
for the Julia installation and
C:\Users\UserName\.julia
for all packages and dependencies.
So no need for elevated rights.

Chocolatey installed Julia 1.5.0 in my home directory, too. I believe it installs the standard Windows binary distribution. I run Chocolatey as administrator, but like @oheil said, Chocolatey could install Julia as a regular user.

PS C:\Users\derek> choco install julia --yes --force
Chocolatey v0.10.15
Installing the following packages:
julia
By installing you accept licenses for the packages.
Progress: Downloading Julia 1.5.0... 100%

Julia v1.5.0 (forced) [Approved]
julia package files install completed. Performing other installation steps.
Installing 64-bit Julia...
Julia has been installed.
Julia installed to 'C:\Users\derek\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia 1.5.0\bin\julia.exe'
Added C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\bin\julia.exe shim pointed to 'c:\users\derek\appdata\local\programs\julia 1.5.0\bin\julia.exe'.
 The install of julia was successful.
  Software installed to 'C:\Users\derek\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia 1.5.0\'

Chocolatey installed 1/1 packages.
 See the log for details (C:\ProgramData\chocolatey\logs\chocolatey.log).

I also noticed that despite running Chocolatey as administrator, in addition to SYSTEM and Administrators, Chocolatey (or Windows) granted me full control of the files in C:\Users\derek\AppData which includes the Julia binaries. So in Windows, at least by default, Julia binaries are completely local to the user.

Can you start a powershell and give us the output of

(Get-Host).Version

for me it looks like:

PS C:\Users\User> (Get-Host).Version

Major  Minor  Build  Revision
-----  -----  -----  --------
5      1      19041  1

PS C:\Users\User>

This is the result.

Major  Minor  Build  Revision
-----  -----  -----  --------
5      1      18362  752

I did some tests (user with space, using chocolatey) without success (means I couldnā€™t reproduce this issue).
The last idea (for me):
Could you check for
DefaultSecureProtocols
the registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\WinHttp
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\WinHttp

check for
SecureProtocols
in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings

Source:

Hi @Nikesh_Bansal My apology for not replying yesterday.
I have been using Julia for a long time on Windows 10.
I really, really advise anyone to use the Chocolatey package manager on Windows.

Are you still having problems?

I did this in my tests and found an issue with this chocolatey approach:

If your own user account (say "user) is not privileged you have to run powershell as another privileged user (e.g ā€œadminā€). Julia is than installed in the home of ā€œadminā€ and not in ā€œuserā€ and therefor not directly accessible for ā€œuserā€.

In general I never had any issue with just downloading the installer from

install and run as current user without any admin rights.

1 Like

Hmm. I start Powershell with Admin privileges. USe choco install julia
Then my Julia 1.5.0 is here:
C:\Users\john_hearns\AppData\Local\Programs\Julia 1.5.0\bin\julia.exe

I wonder how we can figure out what is happening here? Short of taking off and nuking Windows from orbit

This is, e.g., typically not possible in a corporate environment where the normal user doesnā€™t have admin privileges, so privileges canā€™t be escalated via UAC (User Account Control). Another admin user with privileges must be used for installation via chocolatey with the described problem.

Worth notiing that in my Powershell I am acting as my own account
PS C:\users> whoami
europe\john_hearns

That might be the difference then. I am in a corporate environment, but I have local admin rights to my laptop. We can request this and it is generally given to engineers.

I donā€™t know if OP has used chocolatey. I think it was @derekmahar who brought this in.
chocolatey is probably not the issue here as OP was running Julia as admin. I just tested with chocolatey to make sure this isnā€™t the issue.

So, if nothing new comes into mind, I would focus again on my last suspect (TLS) checking the TLS1.2 registry entries above.

Thank you @oheil and @johnh for your suggestions. Let me clear few things.
Initially, I installed Julia without admin privileges and there was this error. So, I tried to delete it and re-install with admin privileges to see if that helps. But the result was the same. I do not believe the admin rights is the issue here.
Next thing, I am not using chocolatey package manager as of now. But I can give a try if that helps.
Lastly, I looked for the registry entries and I found the following values:
There is no DefaultSecureProtocols in registry entries, there is only (Default) in which there is no value.
For SecureProtocols, the value is a80 in HKEY_CURRENT_USER but there is no SecureProtocols in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

I think for the registry, thats how it should be for Windows 10.
My fantasy is now depleted.

Chocolatey was not relevant to my point. I was only confirming your point that the Julia Windows installer installs Julia and packages to the user directory and so need not run as the administrator. I mentioned Chocolatey simply because thatā€™s the tool that I used to run the Julia Windows installer.

1 Like

@oheil, Thank you for your help anyways, hopefully I will solve this issue soon.

@derekmahar Thank you for clarifying about chocolatey.

@johnh I just tried installing Julia with chocolatey as well. Julia works fine in REPL (as before) but the issue with installing IJulia still remains unsolved.

1 Like

I agree that administrative privileges may not be the issue and I doubt that using Chocolatey will help. Does the Julia installer create a log? This might give more clues about why the installation fails.