Problem installing IJulia

Hi,

I’m brand new to Julia and was following one of the JuliaAcademy courses but unfortunately have run into a hiccup quite quickly. When I try to install IJulia in terminal, I receive the following System Error.

(@v1.5) pkg> add IJulia

Installing known registries into ~/.julia

######################################################################## 100.0%

ERROR: SystemError: opening file “/Users/natalyagallo/.julia/registries/General/Registry.toml”: No such file or directory

Stacktrace:

[1] systemerror( ::String, ::Int32; extrainfo::Nothing ) at ./error.jl:168

[2] #systemerror#48 at ./error.jl:167 [inlined]

[3] systemerror at ./error.jl:167 [inlined]

[4] open( ::String; lock::Bool, read::Nothing, write::Nothing, create::Nothing, truncate::Nothing, append::Nothing ) at ./iostream.jl:284

[5] open at ./iostream.jl:273 [inlined]

[6] open( ::Base.var"#294#295"{Tuple{}}, ::String; kwargs::Base.Iterators.Pairs{Union{},Union{},Tuple{},NamedTuple{(),Tuple{}}} ) at ./io.jl:323

[7] open at ./io.jl:323 [inlined]

[8] read at ./io.jl:408 [inlined]

[9] parsefile at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/ext/TOML/src/TOML.jl:50 [inlined]

[10] read_registry( ::String; cache::Bool ) at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/Types.jl:1044

[11] read_registry at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/Types.jl:1039 [inlined]

[12] (::Pkg.Types.var"#94#97"{Pkg.Types.Context,String,Pkg.Types.RegistrySpec})( ::String ) at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/Types.jl:1016

[13] mktempdir( ::Pkg.Types.var"#94#97"{Pkg.Types.Context,String,Pkg.Types.RegistrySpec}, ::String; prefix::String ) at ./file.jl:682

[14] mktempdir at ./file.jl:680 [inlined] (repeats 2 times)

[15] clone_or_cp_registries( ::Pkg.Types.Context, ::Array{Pkg.Types.RegistrySpec,1}, ::String ) at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/Types.jl:980

[16] clone_or_cp_registries at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/Types.jl:970 [inlined] (repeats 2 times)

[17] clone_default_registries( ::Pkg.Types.Context; only_if_empty::Bool ) at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/Types.jl:874

[18] clone_default_registries at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/Types.jl:862 [inlined]

[19] find_registered!( ::Pkg.Types.Context, ::Array{String,1}, ::Array{Base.UUID,1} ) at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/Types.jl:1239

[20] registry_resolve!( ::Pkg.Types.Context, ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1} ) at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/Types.jl:770

[21] add( ::Pkg.Types.Context, ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1}; preserve::Pkg.Types.PreserveLevel, platform::Pkg.BinaryPlatforms.MacOS, kwargs::Base.Iterators.Pairs{Union{},Union{},Tuple{},NamedTuple{(),Tuple{}}} ) at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/API.jl:176

[22] add( ::Pkg.Types.Context, ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1} ) at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/API.jl:140

[23] #add#21 at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/API.jl:67 [inlined]

[24] add( ::Array{Pkg.Types.PackageSpec,1} ) at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/API.jl:67

[25] do_cmd!( ::Pkg.REPLMode.Command, ::REPL.LineEditREPL ) at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/REPLMode/REPLMode.jl:404

[26] do_cmd( ::REPL.LineEditREPL, ::String; do_rethrow::Bool ) at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/REPLMode/REPLMode.jl:382

[27] do_cmd at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/REPLMode/REPLMode.jl:377 [inlined]

[28] (::Pkg.REPLMode.var"#24#27"{REPL.LineEditREPL,REPL.LineEdit.Prompt})( ::REPL.LineEdit.MIState, ::Base.GenericIOBuffer{Array{UInt8,1}}, ::Bool ) at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/Pkg/src/REPLMode/REPLMode.jl:546

[29] #invokelatest#1 at ./essentials.jl:710 [inlined]

[30] invokelatest at ./essentials.jl:709 [inlined]

[31] run_interface( ::REPL.Terminals.TextTerminal, ::REPL.LineEdit.ModalInterface, ::REPL.LineEdit.MIState ) at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/REPL/src/LineEdit.jl:2355

[32] run_frontend( ::REPL.LineEditREPL, ::REPL.REPLBackendRef ) at /Users/julia/buildbot/worker/package_macos64/build/usr/share/julia/stdlib/v1.5/REPL/src/REPL.jl:1143

[33] (::REPL.var"#38#42"{REPL.LineEditREPL,REPL.REPLBackendRef})() at ./task.jl:356

I looked at some similar posts on here for troubleshooting and also tried “add Example” and “add https://github.com/giordano/DebugArtifacts.jl.git” but basically get the same error message as with add IJulia. This feels like an issue with the path, but I have no idea how to fix it.

Help, please!

It looks like your registry information is missing/broken/corrupted. How did you install Julia?

Hi Tamas,

A little while ago I had downloaded JuliaPro, and then for the Julia Academy tutorial, I downloaded Julia and nteract. All of the downloads were from: https://juliacomputing.com/

Thanks for your help!

Best,

Natalya

I can’t help with JuliaPro; I would recommend using the binaries from

Hi Tamas,

Thanks for working through this with me. I really want to use Julia and figure out why it’s not working.

I redownloaded Julia v1.5.1 from julialang.org and opened it. However, I’m still getting the same error. Here’s the output:

Help please!

Best,

Natalya

"Last login: Tue Aug 25 23:33:55 on ttys001

(base) MacBook-Pro-82:~ natalyagallo$ exec ‘/Applications/Julia-1.5.app/Contents/Resources/julia/bin/julia’

I would recommend that you consider deleting the ~/.julia folder, and allowing Julia to recreate it.

This should be the easiest way to recover, but it will also lose customizations and locally developed packages; however, since you are new to Julia you may not have any of these. Or you can keep everything by just renaming it to eg ~/.julia-backup which allows you to experiment.

Hi Tamas,

Thank you!! Deleting the ~/.julia folder and then reinstalling Julia fixed the problem!! I’m able to work through the tutorials now, and I have to say, I LOVE Julia. It makes so much intuitive sense. I am really excited to keep working through the basic tutorials and move into the more advanced applications.

Best,

Natalya

1 Like