How to search the manual more efficiently



I find myself using Julia’s online manual a lot, and thought I’d share this simple trick on how to do that more efficiently if you’re using Chrome as a browser:

  • Enter chrome://settings/ in Chrome’s URL bar.
  • Scroll down to Manage search engines. Click it.
  • Click Add next to Other search engines.
  • Enter the following and then click Add:
    – Search engine: Julia Manual
    – Keyword: jl
    – URL:
  • Now, in Chrome’s URL bar, type jl followed by space to enable searching in the manual.

This way, you can save three, maybe four seconds over if you use a bookmark. Over time, that’s a lot of seconds.


Excellent suggestion. Firefox, of course, also has a similar functionality, just right click and “add a keyword to this search”:


Nice tip !
FWIW it maybe more energy efficient (and faster) to link the jl search with local julia doc (JULIA_PATH/share/doc/julia/html/en/search.html).


And don’t forget this:


I have jl for the webpage, and j for the local copy.


And for qutebrowser, add this to your (thanks to @ExpandingMan):
c.url.searchengines["jl"] = "{}"


I think it would be best if adhered to the OpenSearch standard to advertize itself as a search engine. Most mainstream browsers seem to understand this specification (which is used by Discourse, BTW).

In the meantime, I’ve put together a small webpage to provide OpenSearch specifications for the Julia Reference manual:

I you go to the page, your browser should propose you to add a new search engine. In Firefox, it looks like this (in the top-right part of the window):

Once the search engine is added. You can affect it a shortcut. Again in the example of Firefox, this is performed by clicking the “Change Search Settings” button visible on the screenshot above, or visiting the preferences menu (about:preferences#search)

PS: the OpenSearch document for the Julia documentation is here, in case you’d want to inspect it beforehand:


I can’t recommend this enough, I’ve been using it for years with multiple languages (and even multiple Julia documentations, for different versions), the amount of time it saved me is incredible:

For platforms other than macOS and/or different pricing options: (free) (nagware)