How to make plot window stay open when running a .jl script

I write a simple script, plotex1.jl to produce a plot;

using Plots
pyplot() # Switch to using the PyPlot.jl backend
plot1 = plot(rand(10,10),linewidth=2,title=“Plot 1”)
display(plot1)

The I run the script from my terminal
$ julia plotex.jl

I see the plot flash for a split second and then it disappears. How can I make the plot window stay open?

(If I run the code from REPL, the last line is not needed and the plot window shows and stays open)

after the plot, add
gui()

alternatively, do
display(plot1)

1 Like

First, please quote your code: this makes it easier to run your examples and help you.

As for your question: the problem is that you need Julia to stay alive for it to display the graph. There are two ways (that I know of):

1. run your script like this:

sh> julia -i plotex.jl

this will make the REPL stay alive after having executed your file. You can look at your plot, and kill the REPL manually afterwards as usual, using for example Ctrl+d or exit().

2. add readline() at the end of your script. This will make Julia wait until you press RET before it exits (and makes your plot disappear)

2 Likes

Thanks,

Here is some feedback.

Adding gui() or display(plot1) alone did not make the plot window stay open. Nor did readline() . Adding readline() just made the terminal hang until i hit RETURN.

However adding gui() and executing the script with
$julia -i plotex.jl did the trick.

I will post another question under a performance heading as well. When I type the code manually into REPL the plot shows immediately after the last line. When I run the code as a script from a terminal it takes 27 seconds for the plot to appear! Can anyone explain this?

1 Like