How Discourse trust level works?

Scott, If I had to guess, the reason that your post was hidden is that you misread a portion of Stefan’s statement, and that set you off on a tangent. Here is what Stefan said, where I’ve added a couple of words to clarify how I interpret his statement.

He’s not disparaging the code that you wrote, he’s pointing out real problems with the overall Strings architecture that were there even before you came on the scene.

Let’s go on to the end of his message:

I see this as an entirely reasonable statement of the situation. I don’t see how Stefan’s message as a whole can be interpreted as a personal attack, when he also goes out of his way to validate your perspective. When he says that “it can definitely be supported with packages”, I take that to mean that the Julia community will work with you to address pain-points, to the best of its ability. Turn the conversation in that direction.

My advice to all-- read every message as if the author had good intent. Even if the comment is forceful (“That argument is ridiculous”), don’t take it as a personal attack (“You are ridiculous”-- quite different).

Best of luck in your encounters with surly Swedes :wink:. Today, I have to make the Janson’s Temptation, and keep my better half from tearing into all the Christmas gifts this afternoon instead of tomorrow morning, so I know what an uphill battle it can be.

8 Likes