Hiring Tutors

Is there somwhere I can hire a tutor to learn Julia and stats? Whenever I try going through the documentation for packages, there is always something unexplained, and when I ask a question on discourse, everyone gets upset.

2 Likes

Brett, you are always welcome to ask questions here. No one will be upset!

7 Likes

It seems like @brett_knoss sees it differently:

It might be valuable to figure out if a miscommunication has happened in this case or in other cases. If miscommunications of a certain kind happen repeatedly on the forum, it is worth looking for solutions.

Regardless, it might be better to separate those issues from the “I want to hire a tutor” post, which could go in the Jobs category.

I think I ask to basic questions, that’s why I’m interested in a tutor. It’s not like people just get upset. I couldn’t find the tutor category, but I know there is one. I’ll put together a request, I think Julia Pro, has some kind of support, and I might be paying for it already.

I know I’ve answered quite a few of your posts so I hope I didn’t come across as upset! For the most part it seemed to me like your queries were resolved, if maybe in a somewhat roundabout way in some instances.

To answer your current question: I’ve seen a couple of people asking for tutoring here over the years, but it doesn’t seem to be a common thing. If you want to go down that route maybe post in the jobs section on here.

Alternatively you might want to look at exercism, which has a Julia track that many people seem to find useful, where you get personalised feedback on the solutions to exercises you submit.

4 Likes

No I think you’re right that my queries have been resolved. I think some of the latest stuff is more complicated, and I would like to know a place where i can get help with statistics. I will definitely check out Exercism. Thanks!

This book draft may be useful to you, it has many code examples.

Apparently the full version is available to purchase on Statistics with Julia: Fundamentals for Data Science, Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence | SpringerLink, but I don’t know how good the full version will be.

For statistics, there is the following free book, just move the you pay bar all the way to the left and it will be free.

5 Likes

I have tutored someone that DMd me on discourse before, and imo it went well. We met every other day or so for about a month, iirc. Profitable and constructive.

I’m not free for a similar arrangement right now. But I can confirm it has been done, and probably happens more than publicly available posts on discourse would suggest.

4 Likes

@brett_knoss have you thought about trying out one of the more real-time community platforms (Slack, Zulip, Discord, etc.)? I’d say the advantages there are threefold: there are usually more folks online, the feedback loop is shorter for asking/answering questions and they don’t have as much of a lean towards longer-form discussion as Discourse does.

1 Like

I have a Discourse and Zulip account already. I’ll be sure to make better use of those resources, thanks.

1 Like

Zulip especially, since it means the rest of us can learn from your q&a too, which is much harder on slack.

Ok. Yes, I can totally do that!

I had a look on the OpenIntro Statistics book… it is very well done, but very skewed toward practics.

For a much more in deep -yet accessible- approach I would suggest the MOOCs on Introduction to probabilities and Introduction to Statistics from the MITx MicroMaster on Statistics and Data Science, delivered trough edx. They are free if you don’t need the certificate and, expecialy the first one, are phenomenal.

:stuck_out_tongue: it is a shame that the program is not using Julia for the latter courses

1 Like

Yes, agree… Indeed I did let them notice and I reimplemented most of it in Julia by my own :wink:

The R course is terrible (interesting, soneone can be a Nobel price winner in research, still in teaching…), the ML one is very theoretical, so the fact it is in Python doesn’t really matter (indeed I think they did an error, not least because that course so attracts lot of people looking for an easy ML implementation and then getting them frustrated with “too much” theory. They would have done “ML with Julia” they would not have such a problem… )

2 Likes

On this topic, it would be helpful to have a public list on JuliaAcademy or elsewhere of available (or potentially available at flexible times) Julia tutors, with their credentials, rates, and topics they cover.