Hi, I'm in need of some life advice

okay so I don’t have a job (I’m a minor) and I keep finding myself in need of some money. i like coding but i can’t get a job and i personally love foss and 100% support privacy oriented views; that’s also why i hate scummy methods to get money like survey apps that sell your data for cheap and “pay to walk” (etc etc) with a heck lotta ads

ive looked into selling services & stuff but fiverr has a huge minimum price for sellers and i doubt anyones paying 80 bucks for my stuff. im a mid coder but i can still code some stuff

pls help. whut do i do

I don’t know the local laws and customs in the place that you live or your exact situation, but I would like to give a few ideas: One thing that won’t give you money immediately, but is good for your future is to use some of your spare time learning more about coding (either through reading, making private programs for fun or helping out with real open source projects). To make money here and now, maybe start a business doing general IT-service if you are able to (in first world countries it is often very expensive for private individuals to get help from an official computer store, hopefully you can do it cheaper). For most of us, getting a good job or succeeding with a business requires perseverance, so be prepared for setbacks; learn from them and continue if they are just bumps in the road. Hopefully you have also at least considered getting help and support from your parents for this.

8 Likes

thank you man ill never forget this

1 Like

My advice is go local. Your local businesses, organizations, and governments desperately need technical help. If you can put together a website, database, or program for them they will be quite grateful. Importantly, they will pay for this help.

I’m not exactly sure if Julia is the technology I would lead with in that circumstance, but it can be a nice power tool to pull out when the right circumstances appear. Oh, that Python script the last person wrote now takes the whole day to run? You might be able to make it run in hours or minutes in Julia.

3 Likes

I second this and would add to it:

Keep an open mind in terms of career paths. You should absolutely make a plan and set goals for yourself BUT, don’t be afraid to deviate from your plan. I’m sure many people have a similar story but, my path to get to where I am (coding for work on a daily basis) was long and circuitous. I was willing to do work that I never really envisioned myself doing and, eventually, I got to where I wanted to be. Whatever you do, focus on adding value to your employer/customer/associate/whatever. Eventually, you’ll figure out how to add value via programming/coding and someone will take notice.

2 Likes

What many teenagers do when they need a little money, they don’t necessarily get it through their computer hobbies, but as tutors, pet sitters, waiters, cashiers, etc. Your passion should pay off later, after more hard work - usually people say 10 years, as a rule.

2 Likes

A friend of mine has a son who got a serious programming job at the age of 15 and I expect that his programming experience was much less than 10 years, so it can be done a lot faster.

1 Like