Help, I'm going out of my mind - Julia and VS Code Problems

worth noting that the Remote SSH extension won’t work with VSCodium though.

Wow. To quote from the link to VSCodium:

Microsoft’s vscode source code is open source (MIT-licensed), but the product available for download (Visual Studio Code) is licensed under this not-FLOSS license and contains telemetry/tracking. According to this comment from a Visual Studio Code maintainer:

When we [Microsoft] build Visual Studio Code, we do exactly this. We clone the vscode repository, we lay down a customized product.json that has Microsoft specific functionality (telemetry, gallery, logo, etc.), and then produce a build that we release under our license.

When you clone and build from the vscode repo, none of these endpoints are configured in the default product.json. Therefore, you generate a “clean” build, without the Microsoft customizations, which is by default licensed under the MIT license

The VSCodium project exists so that you don’t have to download+build from source. This project includes special build scripts that clone Microsoft’s vscode repo, run the build commands, and upload the resulting binaries for you to GitHub releases. These binaries are licensed under the MIT license. Telemetry is disabled.

4 Likes

the catch is that VSCodium doesn’t have access to many plug-ins that are only available in M$ market, because somehow plug-ins there are not like Atom plug-ins – just git repo with code under Free license

Well, you can still install most plugins on VSCodium (either by bugging the devs to publish to open-vsx.org as well or by just downloading the vsix and installing it manually). There’s only a small (I think) set of packages in the VSCode marketplace whose license disallows usage with non-official VSCode builds.

Are there any critical issues with Juno I should be aware of? Last I tried it works just fine.

3 Likes

Juno still working fine here. When the lights start flickering, I’ll let you know… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Juno dead-enders unite! (I’m still sad about the demise of LightTable…)

5 Likes

Rock n Roll is here to stay, and so is Juno :smiley:

My main problem is I’ve installed VS Code three times and can’t get Julia working on it. I’ve never had this problem with any other language on any other editor.