Has anyone taken this course on probabilistic programming in Julia?

The course is here:

https://www.udemy.com/course/probabilistic-programming-with-python-and-julia/

It has only had 34 students and the ratings are quite poor (so my prior belief about the probability of finding someone here who has taken it is very low :wink:). I watched two of the videos that are available without paying and they don’t seem very promising. That being said, this is a topic that I’m really itching to learn on a deeper level so I was wondering if anyone else has taken it or maybe can give opinions on alternative resources.

I don’t think I know anyone having taken this course. We discussed to make video tutorials for probabilistic programming using Turing.jl at some point but we don’t have the manpower to do so at the moment.

If you are curious, you can have a look at the existing tutorials which should help to get a first start on probabilistic programming with Julia using Turing.

See: https://turing.ml

I know one person who took that course, he said he didn’t learn much.

Thanks. They are using Turing.jl in the course, apparently. It would be awesome if you all could put together some video tutorials at some point :smiley:

1 Like

I know one person who took that course, he said he didn’t learn much.

I’m not surprised based on ratings and what I saw in the two videos I watched. Udemy has some amazing courses on many topics and for most mainstream programming languages. I can’t wait to get to the point that there are an equally rich number of (good) Julia-related courses.

1 Like

I had a chat with a stats professor this summer who wants to use Turing in his stats courses. Having a solid course on probabilistic programming with Turing would indeed be a good idea. I might drop him an email and see what he is up to.

I have no idea how much money there is to be made on these Udemy courses but I’d be the first to sign up for a good course! I’ve taken several courses on that website related to Node.js/Vue.js/front-end web development and they were all absolutely amazing. A couple of months ago I took a Coursera course on Bayesian statistics and it was pretty terrible - I didn’t really come away from it being able to apply anything I’ve learned. A good course on probabilistic programming/Turing with a focus on practical applications would be a hit (at least with me :wink:).

1 Like