GLVisualize

I finally tagged a new version of GLVisualize with a lot of new goodies and overall improved stability.
For more information please see my blog post:

http://randomfantasies.com/2016/11/glvisualize-a-modern-graphics-platform-for-julia/

Best,
Simon

15 Likes

How’s the documentation? The demos were great (last week) but I found it hard to find out some basics…

Not much better, but I did add more documented examples.
Also I added this little function, which can print out the keyword arguments you can customize:

# suppose you have 
x = rand(Point3f0, 10)
visualize(x)
# then you can use
get_docs(x)
# to figure out what keyword arguments you can pass

There is also:

GLVisualize.all_docs()

Which will print all possible arguments to the visualize function and if available the docstring corresponding to it.

Not really satisfactory I admit! I’m work on it! If you have ideas what you want to see in the docs, please tell me!

1 Like

Last time I looked I got the feeling that I was supposed to already know ‘something’ in depth, because I couldn’t find much on coordinates, cameras, axes, projections, lighting, textures, data formats, datatypes, number formats, signals, etc, without diving into the code. The search tool didn’t help me much. (And there are white areas in the docs where I’m guessing that some people might see a picture or video… :slight_smile:

But the demos were awesome, and I think this has so much potential!

Thanks @cormullion.
I guess you’re right, I do assume that kind of knowledge.
I just imagine people looking through the demos, picking out the one closes to their use case and then work from there :wink:
Which is also why I made it an essential part of the runtest.

But I see how it’s time for a more thorough documentation!

2 Likes

Great news, Simon, congratulations on all your hard work. I’m really enjoying GLVisualize and I’m looking forward to future updates : )

This looks really promising. Maybe one day Julia will have an equivalent of MathBox.

Looks very nice, good work! What are the hardware requirements? I get

ERROR: LoadError: GLX: Failed to create context: GLXBadFBConfig
error when running tests.

You need a modestly modern GPU (I think even an onboard HD 3000 from 2011 should be fine) with drivers installed.
What does glxinfo say? Best is to open an issue at GLVisualize.jl

HI @sdanisch, this looks really promising! Could you comment on this question for the probability to use GLVisualize in a Jupyter notebook? Thanks.