Getting mysterious WARNING / Error messages during package installations

question

Dear Sirs,

I just installed Julia for the first time. I’m using an Ubuntu 16.04 machine, and I used Elliot Saba’s PPA.

When I run Pkg.add("…") for any package, I see the following errors:

WARNING: Error during initialization of module LinAlg:
ErrorException("could not load library "liblapack.so.3"
liblapack.so.3.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory")
WARNING: Error during initialization of module CHOLMOD:
ErrorException("could not load library "libcholmod"
/usr/lib/liblapack.so.3: undefined symbol: gotoblas")

I do have libcholomod and liblapack installed. I also had openblas installed before I installed julia.
What can I do to ensure everything works properly and the warnings disappear?

You could try the official binaries instead. They are available from the JuliaLang website.

Ccing @staticfloat for possible fix.

@Greg; what versions of openblas and liblapack do you have installed? You can find via dpkg -l, like this:

$ dpkg -l | grep openblas
ii  libopenblas-base                       0.2.10.1-trusty2                              amd64        Optimized BLAS (linear algebra) library based on GotoBLAS2
ii  libopenblas-dev                        0.2.10.1-trusty2                              amd64        Optimized BLAS (linear algebra) library based on GotoBLAS2
$ dpkg -l | grep lapack
ii  liblapack-dev                          3.5.0-2ubuntu1                                amd64        Library of linear algebra routines 3 - static version
ii  liblapack3                             3.5.0-2ubuntu1                                amd64        Library of linear algebra routines 3 - shared version

If your versions are significantly different, when was the last time you ran sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade?

@kristoffer.carlsson, @dpsanders, and @staticfloat, thank you for such prompt response! This encourages me to continue trying out Julia :slight_smile:

@kristoffer.carlsson, thanks, I will surely try the official binaries if we can’t resolve this otherwise.

@staticfloat here is the output of my dpkg -l:

algomorph@Juggernaut:~$ dpkg -l | grep openblas
ii  libopenblas-base                                     0.2.18-1ubuntu1                               amd64        Optimized BLAS (linear algebra) library (shared library)
ii  libopenblas-dev                                      0.2.18-1ubuntu1                               amd64        Optimized BLAS (linear algebra) library (development files)
algomorph@Juggernaut:~$ dpkg -l | grep lapack
ii  liblapack-dev                                        3.6.0-2ubuntu2                                amd64        Library of linear algebra routines 3 - static version
ii  liblapack3                                           3.6.0-2ubuntu2                                amd64        Library of linear algebra routines 3 - shared version

Apparently, the PPA I referenced and used to install Julia is the one containing “official binaries”, see http://julialang.org/downloads/platform.html, the Ubuntu section.

In the Linux section, it says “It is strongly recommended that the official generic linux binaries from the downloads page be used to install Julia. The following distribution-specific packages are community contributed.”

Have you tried using the generic linux binaries? This should be easy to try.

Thanks for your response! I have removed the PPA version, downloaded the official archive, and, for lack of any clear instructions, just stuffed the corresponding folders in my /usr/local (bin, share, etc, lib, include) with the corresponding contents from the archive.

The error has gone away. I have filed a bug report with the PPA maintainer.

You can also just make a symbolic link in e.g. /usr/bin/ to the binary that exists at /bin/julia in the compressed archive. That way you don’t have to move around so many files.