Hello,

For a parametric type such as

struct Point{T <: Real}
    x::T
    y::T
end

I can define the following three functions:

coordinates1(p::Point) = (p.x, p.y)
coordinates2(p::Point{<:Real}) = (p.x, p.y)
coordinates3(p::Point{<:Integer}) = (p.x, p.y)

I have two questions:

1. The third function would only work for inputs of type Point{<:Integer} but what is the difference between the first and the second definition?

2. If I wanted to define a function that works for all T, would I rather choose a definition such as coordinates1 where I drop the specification of the type, or would I go for a definition such as coordinates2 where I copy the restriction T<:Real from the definition of the parametric struct Point?

Thank you for your help

Michael

The methods coordinates1 and coordinates2 are exactly the same. In fact if you give them the same name:

julia> coordinates(p::Point) = (p.x, p.y)
coordinates (generic function with 1 method)

julia> coordinates(p::Point{<:Real}) = (p.x, p.y)
coordinates (generic function with 1 method)

julia> methods(coordinates)
# 1 method for generic function "coordinates":
[1] coordinates(p::Point) in Main at REPL[11]:1

you will see that in the end only one method is really defined.
This changes when you introduce the coordinates3 signature

julia> coordinates(p::Point{<:Integer}) = (p.x, p.y)
coordinates (generic function with 2 methods)

julia> methods(coordinates)
# 2 methods for generic function "coordinates":
[1] coordinates(p::Point{<:Integer}) in Main at REPL[13]:1
[2] coordinates(p::Point) in Main at REPL[11]:1

Ofc you give different names, so in your case all 3 function exist. Just wanted to say that there is no difference in the argument types between the the first and the second.

Since you defined Point{T<:Real} you can only ever define Point with T<:Real. And as mentioned previously it makes no difference whether you use the first or the second signature. I personally find the first more readable, as there you do not repeat yourself.

5 Likes

Thank you. Yes, this was my preferred option too. Glad to see that it is equivalent to the more verbose signature.

Hi @weltenbummler, could you mark the second post as the solution to this thread? This way is easier to find for new people that may have the same question.

Done; thanks for the reminder.

1 Like