First look - Debugger.jl Uncut

At work, I started making videos of me playing around with our company’s products and recording my thoughts. The UX team and engineering team watch them and think they are useful. So I decided to make one of me using the Debugger.jl for the first time.

It’s uncut, so pretty raw.

9 Likes

Awesome, and now I know how you found the errors in Parquet :slight_smile:

Would be great if you give the debugger in the VS Code extension a spin as well, see here for an intro.

The UX team and engineering team watches them and think they are useful.

Yes, it’s immensely useful to see people not used to tools work with them for the first time.

I think the reason for most of the troubles you were having stems from the fact that you’re not actually using Debugger.jl (which is completely separate from Juno’s or VSCode’s debugger), so even the RTFM’ing didn’t help much. RT-right-FM’ing would’ve led you here, which hopefully is a pretty good description.

1 Like

I tried to make this clear in the README for Debugger.jl (it’s even in the video).:

Note : If you are looking for the docs for the Juno IDE debugger, see this link instead

Maybe I have to make it bigger :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I guess it’s my fault. I need to read it more carefully.

I have tested JUNO and vscode-julia. According to my experience, vscode-julia is more user friendly and stable. The speed of the current version is much faster than v0.15. I used vscode-julia for the daily work. Only several painpoints some of which maybe not be caused by vscode-julia itself.

1. Speed is not quick enough, not smooth as Python IDE, and some times very slow (such as large project or code to load relative large data). This may be caused by JuliaInterpreter.jl.
  2. If the enter function is in file1.jl which call a function in file2.jl and we only set the breakpoint in file2.jl, after pressing run and debug, it does not stop at the breakpoint in file2.jl. It runs to the end and exit instead.

According to my own experience, vscode-julia would be the one nearest to a usable/mature IDE, which possibly provide similar user-experience as Python IDE.

I made a very short video to should how to debug Julia code with vscode-julia IDE.
Debug Julia code with vscode-julia

That strikes me as a bug, unless you run the debugger in compile mode (in which case this is to be expected). Could you open an issue if this occurs if you aren’t in compile mode?

Yes, there are some serious performance problems that affect all three debugger front-ends that use JuliaInterpreter.jl under the hood currently (Debugger.jl, Juno and VS Code).

hat strikes me as a bug, unless you run the debugger in compile mode (in which case this is to be expected). Could you open an issue if this occurs if you aren’t in compile mode?

It occurs only in the compile mode. Most of the time, I only use compile mode, which is a bit quicker.

Thank you so much for your work on vscode-julia. It really save me a lot of time!

1 Like