Emacs Julia Ess with C-` for next-error

dear julia experts—I believe I am running the correct emacs ess for julia, on emacs 24.5.1, macOS. nice julia syntax highlighting and indenting.

alas, the c-x ` (next error) does not work. instead of going to the error, based on the compiler output, emacs requests from me below the modeline

Find this error in (default ./loading.jl): ~/pwd/

and even if I give the filename, it can still not find the right line. this suggests that emacs cannot parse the file and/or line number information contained in the julia error output

[1] macro expansion at /Users/mei/pwd/sample.jl:26 [inlined]
while loading /Users/me/pwd/sample.jl, in expression starting on line 21

is there a way to fix this, or a way to output errors in the more common filename:linenum: format?

(and, how do I just compile but not run the program?)

I looked at https://github.com/emacs-ess/ESS/wiki/Julia , which suggests it should be working. is this perhaps a more specialized or newer version? (my ess came with my macos emacs version, I think.)

regards, /iaw

I would try at least an Emacs 25.2, and the latest released ESS, and if that does not work, ask on the ESS mailing list.

yep, still same problem on 25.3. incidentally, nice package of macos with everything in it at

https://vigou3.github.io/emacs-modified-macos/

I think this is not necessarily an ess problem. see, a typical julia error is

ERROR: LoadError: syntax: "blahblah" is not a valid function argument name

Stacktrace:
 [1] include_from_node1(::String) at ./loading.jl:576
 [2] include(::String) at ./sysimg.jl:14
 [3] process_options(::Base.JLOptions) at ./client.jl:305
 [4] _start() at ./client.jl:371
while loading /Users/me/pwd/file.jl, in expression starting on line 2

what happens is that emacs-ess wants to go to loading.jl:576 first, rather than to pwd/file.jl . are you not getting the same?

I can’t help with ESS but I’ll say that I use emacs with julia-mode and julia-repl and that works great for me. Is there a reason you need to use ESS?

uhmm…no. I had thought that ess[julia] was julia mode. apparently, it is not. when I do M-x julia-mode, it works. thanks, mason.

1 Like