Documenter can't find docs

Hi,

I’m trying to build a documentation using documenter and run into a weird error.
In one of the .md files, I have a few @docs blocks. It looks as follows:

##Functions
```@docs
f
```

##Some more functions
```@docs
g
```

(Neither f nor g comes with any args specification in the .md file). Now documenter can find the docstring for g, but it cannot find the one for f. The docstring looks as follows:

"""
    f
does some stuff.
"""

f and g don’t both come from the same file, but both from files that are included in my_module.jl via include("file").
The error message reads:

Warning: no docs found for 'f' in `@docs` block in src\reference.md
```@docs
f
```

I am really clueless what is happening here, does anyone have an idea?

Edit: it seems to me as though it’s certain files that documenter doesn’t like. If you have a look at the repo, for example no docstrings from fw_algorithms.jl in the src/ folder are found. It seems like the error has to do with what file the string is from.

More context would help diagnose the problem, do you have the repo available online?

1 Like

Yes! j-geuter/FrankWolfe.jl: Julia implementation for various Frank-Wolfe and Conditional Gradient variants (github.com). If you go to reference.md in docs/, for the entire block

```@docs
frank_wolfe
lazified_conditional_gradient
away_frank_wolfe
blended_conditional_gradient
```

documenter cannot find the docstrings. (You can for example find blended_conditional_gradient in src/blended_cg.) All other @docs blocks in reference.md work just fine.

Ok I just realized that on github they are displayed without any problems (which is what is most important). Only locally documenter can’t find them for some reason. Does anyone have an idea why that could be the case?

4 Likes