Documentation suggestion - noteworthy differences to other languages page

I have a suggested change to the Noteworthy differences from Python page in the documentation but thought a discussion would be appropriate first since I’m not a Julia expert.

For me, one of the key differences between Julia and Python is that Julia has a built-in syntax for array literals. This does not come across clearly on this page. Arrays are mentioned in this bullet point about Lists:

• Python Lists—flexible but slow—correspond to the Julia Vector{Any} type or more generally Vector{T} where T is some non-concrete element type. “Fast” arrays like Numpy arrays that store elements in-place (i.e., dtype is np.float64 , [('f1', np.uint64), ('f2', np.int32)] , etc.) can be represented by Array{T} where T is a concrete, immutable element type. This includes built-in types like Float64 , Int32 , Int64 but also more complex types like Tuple{UInt64,Float64} and many user-defined types as well.

but I don’t think this does them justice.

My suggestion is to take the second statement from this bullet (starting ““Fast” arrays like Numpy…”) and make it a separate bullet point about arrays and include some examples of array literals. For example, the special syntax for one and 2-dimensional arrays (borrowed from Matlab I believe):

a = [1 2 3; 4 5 6]  # 2×3 Array{Int64,2}:
a = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]  # 6-element Array{Int64,1}

What do people think?

1 Like