Disabling badge notifications

Hya folks, I’m a new member on the site. So far this seems like a great community, and I’m happy to be a part of it.

One question though–How do I disable the deluge of notifications for silly badges? I want to be notified when someone mentions me in a post, but I don’t benefit from periodic interruptions that let me know I’ve “Earned Basic” or “Earned First Like” or “Earned Read Guidelines” or “Earned First Mention.” Is there a way to turn this off?

Welcome! I don’t think this is possible, unfortunately. It looks like this is an outstanding feature request for the discourse software we use:

1 Like

You might take solace in the fact that there probably aren’t many more to go - I just checked my own profile and it looks like I’ve got ~10 of these “first X” badges, including more arcane ones like first wiki edit or first flagged post, so hopefully this will peter out quite quickly.

3 Likes

Perhaps it’s only about email notifications, they can be switched off in the preferences.

1 Like

Coming back to this particular ask, I think many of the new-user badges can be skipped with this setting in your user preferences at the bottom:

2 Likes

You would think so, but I unchecked that the day I signed up, and I’m still getting notifications for things like “Earned First Emoji”.

1 Like

Wait, actually, upon reflection, does unchecking the box about new user onboarding tips and badges turn notifications on?

Yes, discourse likes to put its settings in negative way — you need to enable it to skip the tips and badges. That said, I’m not entirely sure which notifications this skips.

1 Like