DifferentialEquations inside CUDA kernels

Hello,

In my code I would like to use the integrator interface to DifferentialEquations inside CUDA kernels. Unfortunately, the type of integrators is not isbits and therefore can not be accessed inside the kernel. I wonder if anyone can suggest any workarounds.

Here is a more detailed description of my problem. I have a differential equation of the following type:

\displaystyle \frac{\partial u(r,t)}{\partial t}=2 \, g(r,t) \, [1 - u(r,t)],

where the function g(r,t) is predefined on a grid (r,t). As you can see, the variable r plays a role of a parameter. Therefore, the above equation can be represented as a set of independent equations (I do not want to consider them as a system of equations, because in the original code the above equation is only one from another system of equations). As a result, the solution can be effectively parallelized, and I would like to use GPU for this purpose.

The serial CPU code can be written as follows:

using PyPlot
using DifferentialEquations

function f(u, p, t)
    a, g = p
    return a * g * (1 - u)
end

function mysolve!(u, integrator, dt, g)
    Nr, Nt = size(u)
    for i=1:Nr
        for j=1:Nt
            integrator.p = (2., g[i, j])
            step!(integrator, dt, true)
            u[i, j] = integrator.u
        end
        reinit!(integrator)
    end
    return nothing
end

function main()
    Nr, Nt = 512, 1024
    r = range(0., 3., length=Nr)
    t = range(-3., 3., length=Nt)
    dt = t[2] - t[1]

g = zeros((Nr, Nt))
            g[i, j] = exp(-r[i]^2) * exp(-t[j]^2)
        end
    end

u0 = 0.
    p = (2., g[1, 1])
    tspan = (t[1], t[end])
    prob = ODEProblem(f, u0, tspan, p)
    integrator = init(prob, Tsit5(), dense=false)

u = zeros((Nr, Nt))
    mysolve!(u, integrator, dt, g)

plot(t, g[1, :])
    plot(t, u[1, :])
    show()
end

main()

A straightforward translation into the GPU code will be:

using PyPlot
using DifferentialEquations
using CUDAnative
using CuArrays

function f(u, p, t)
    a, g = p
    return a * g * (1 - u)
end

function mysolve!(u, integrator, dt, g)
    Nr, Nt = size(u)
    nth = 256
    nbl = Int(ceil(Nr / nth))
    @cuda blocks=nbl threads=nth mysolve_kernel(u, integrator, dt, g)
    return nothing
end

function mysolve_kernel(u, integrator, dt, g)
    id = (blockIdx().x - 1) * blockDim().x + threadIdx().x
    stride = blockDim().x * gridDim().x
    Nr, Nt = size(u)
    for i=id:stride:Nr
            integrator.p = (2., g[i, j])
            step!(integrator, dt, true)
            u[i, j] = integrator.u
        end
        reinit!(integrator)
    end
    return nothing
end

function main()
    Nr, Nt = 512, 1024
    r = range(0., 3., length=Nr)
    t = range(-3., 3., length=Nt)
    dt = t[2] - t[1]

g = zeros((Nr, Nt))
            g[i, j] = exp(-r[i]^2) * exp(-t[j]^2)
        end
    end

u0 = 0.
    p = (2., g[1, 1])
    tspan = (t[1], t[end])
    prob = ODEProblem(f, u0, tspan, p)
    integrator = init(prob, Tsit5(), dense=false)

gd = CuArrays.CuArray(g)
    ud = CuArrays.zeros((Nr, Nt))
    mysolve!(ud, integrator, dt, gd)
    u = CuArrays.collect(ud)

plot(t, g[1, :])
    plot(t, u[1, :])
    show()
end

main()

Unfortunately this GPU code does not compile. I guess, the main reason for it is the non isbits type of the integrator:

typeof(integrator) = OrdinaryDiffEq.ODEIntegrator{Tsit5,false,Float64,Float64,Tuple{Float64,Float64},Float64,Float64,Float64,Array{Float64,1},ODESolution{Float64,1,Array{Float64,1},Nothing,Nothing,Array{Float64,1},Array{Array{Float64,1},1},ODEProblem{Float64,Tuple{Float64,Float64},false,Tuple{Float64,Float64},ODEFunction{false,typeof(f),LinearAlgebra.UniformScaling{Bool},Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing},Nothing,DiffEqBase.StandardODEProblem},Tsit5,OrdinaryDiffEq.InterpolationData{ODEFunction{false,typeof(f),LinearAlgebra.UniformScaling{Bool},Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing},Array{Float64,1},Array{Float64,1},Array{Array{Float64,1},1},OrdinaryDiffEq.Tsit5ConstantCache{Float64,Float64}},DiffEqBase.DEStats},ODEFunction{false,typeof(f),LinearAlgebra.UniformScaling{Bool},Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing,Nothing},OrdinaryDiffEq.Tsit5ConstantCache{Float64,Float64},OrdinaryDiffEq.DEOptions{Float64,Float64,Float64,Float64,typeof(DiffEqBase.ODE_DEFAULT_NORM),typeof(LinearAlgebra.opnorm),CallbackSet{Tuple{},Tuple{}},typeof(DiffEqBase.ODE_DEFAULT_ISOUTOFDOMAIN),typeof(DiffEqBase.ODE_DEFAULT_PROG_MESSAGE),typeof(DiffEqBase.ODE_DEFAULT_UNSTABLE_CHECK),DataStructures.BinaryHeap{Float64,DataStructures.LessThan},DataStructures.BinaryHeap{Float64,DataStructures.LessThan},Nothing,Nothing,Int64,Array{Float64,1},Array{Float64,1},Array{Float64,1}},Float64,Float64,Nothing}

Here you can see an extensive presence of Array{Float64,1} types which are not isbits. Therefore, I wonder, are there any way to tell the integrator to use instead, for example, StaticArrays. Or if anyone can suggest any other solution, I would be very happy.

Thank you.

This is an ongoing research project. There’s some stuff going on at DiffEqGPU.jl

https://github.com/JuliaDiffEq/DiffEqGPU.jl

It’s not quite working yet though, and it’s some hard stuff. Working on it with @vchuravy’s help. For the arrays, you have to do tricky things like use an MArray, but then never return it. For the full integrators we might need to use Cassette.jl to change all of our array applications. For now we are trying to use the methods in SimpleDiffEq.jl to compile this, and utilizing an alternative array-based strategy. There’s a ton of stuff to do here though, so if you’d like to join the team that would be great!

Thank you Chris.

I looked at the code of DiffEqGPU.jl and SimpleDiffEq.jl. As far as I understand the aim of DiffEqGPU is to allow one using CuArrays to define large systems of equations which then can be solved on GPU with general linear algebra routines. In turn, it seems that SimpleDiffEq implements a different idea, which is closer to my question. According to my understanding, SimpleDiffEq goes towards the replacement of all cache and service arrays inside integrators by StaticArrays. As the result it will be possible to call the integrators inside custom CUDA kernels.

There’s a ton of stuff to do here though, so if you’d like to join the team that would be great!

It would be very interesting at least to try. Unfortunately, I have no idea even how to start. Do you have any developer guides or some roadmaps in order to understand your plans on the GPU packages?

No, that’s one algorithm in the library. It’s also trying to compile full integrators. See

https://github.com/JuliaDiffEq/DiffEqGPU.jl/blob/master/test/gpu_ode.jl

It’s mostly just, dig into the code compilation of that script and try and get it working. Once it works on SimpleDiffEq, then we may need some special Cassette contexts to do the same for the full OrdinaryDiffEq.jl