Can we make a list of common keyboard symbols for Mac?

A lot of people on this forum frequently use , , etc.

This is awesome because Julia enables it, but I’m guessing many coders avoid them like the plague.

As a new year’s resolution, maybe we can get everyone (at least mac users) to get accustomed to them.

This is my (very short) list so far:

Command Keys
opt + x
opt + =
÷ opt + /

// I realize many of these have /blah commands, but some writing environment don’t allow them

(from http://www.chriswrites.com/how-to-type-common-symbols-and-special-characters-in-os-x)

2 Likes

A useful thing on the Mac is to go to the Keyboard system preferences, add a Greek keyboard under “Input Sources”, and then under Shortcuts / Input Sources add a binding for an easy way to switch input sources (I use command-space). Then you can type command-space to easily type Greek letters (e.g. α is typed by “a” in the Greek keyboard), and type command-space again to switch back to your regular keyboard.

(The Greek keyboard also has different shortcuts for math symbols, e.g. option-d is ÷.)

In the US keyboard, option-/ is ÷, option-v is √, option-< is ≤, option-> is ≥, option-d is ∂, option-p is π, and option-m is µ (unfortunately a different character than the greek μ, but they are treated as equivalent by Julia).

1 Like

That greek keyboard idea is great! Caps lock has never been more useful.

Maybe try losing command-space in favor of it though. I use spotlight search every day

None of those shortcuts work on a Danish Mac.