Beginner installing and trying to use JuliaPro on Windows - extremely slow experience

Thanks @rdeits. You are hearing intense stress coming through. Sorry about that #startuplife :sweat_smile:

I am trying to try Revise.jl and expect it to be awesome but am having other problems at the moment :sweat_smile:

PS: If Revise is as awesome as I’m hoping, it’d be great to have it rolled into Base as standard.

Edit: I just got Revise.jl working and it is beautiful :heart_eyes: A game changer as far as I’m concerned.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think it would make a great addition to the new stdlib (although that could easily happen post-1.0 since it wouldn’t be a breaking change).

I like this idea.
One could add Pkg.update() to this and possibly test all installed packages during such a precompilation run

Could you at least add notifications that things are being recompiled/installed? I’m a first time user of Julia. (got v0.6.2.2 Pro with Juno etc). Even after the initial 1+ minute waits for anything to happen. “using Gadfly” takes 9 seconds. Every time the REPL is restarted. Is it recompiled from scratch every time?

You may give a try to Gnuplot.jl, which I developed exactly for quick data exploration. It uses gnuplot as backend (which must be installed separately) and allows to exploit all its 2D/3D functionalities.

E.g., to plot an animated spiral:

@time using Gnuplot
t = 0.:0.1:100
for a in 30:360
    @time @gsp verb=0 "set view $a, $a" sqrt.(t).*cos.(t) sqrt.(t).*sin.(t) -t "w l"
end

Loading the package takes 1.2 seconds on my laptop, the first plot takes 3.6 seconds, and the remaining plots ~0.02 seconds each (1000 points are being drawn each time). For my purposes (I’m an astronomer) is more than enough and I can live with it until a complete and quickly reactive plotting package for Julia will be available.