Are any Julia 1.5+ books being worked on?

All I see is 1.0 or partial 1.3 Julia books out there. Does anyone know if any authors are working on new books or new editions covering 1.7 or at least 1.5??

I fear if I learn from a 1.0 book, I will have to unlearn half the book to make code that works in 1.7 or 1.8.
-Patrick

All of the 1.x releases are backwards compatible. So code that works with Julia 1.0 should still work with 1.8, even if it doesn’t use the latest features.

3 Likes

Sorry I had misread the release notices. I had thought 1.6 was a line in the sand on backward compatibility. Still, if anyone knows of a pending release (next 3 months) on a book that covers something above 1.3, I would love to hear it.

I have never used a Julia book but this one is fairly recent (it uses Julia 1.7.2) https://juliadatascience.io/

1 Like

Also, I saw this post today: Julia for Data Analysis book preview | Blog by Bogumił Kamiński

3 Likes

This one was recently posted on Julia Slack :

Julia as a second laguage, by Erik Engheim.

To be published by Fall 2022.

2 Likes

Both books are already available (maybe they meant “Fall in the southern hemisphere” :wink: ). I’m on the Manning mailing list, which announced that “Julia as a second language” is available today (18. March, presumably in a U.S. timezone) at a discounted price.
EDIT: They are currently in pre-publication format, so what I said above is not entirely correct.

2 Likes

For one of them only 2 chapters and for the other one only 3 chapters are currently available.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right, I should have mentioned that they would still be incomplete. If you purchase at this point, Manning notifies you as updates become available.

1 Like