Applications closing May 29: MLJ (Machine Learning in Julia) tutorial and development sprint, Alan Turing Institute, London

Announcing MLJ + sktime tutorial and development sprint

The Alan Turing Institute is developing ML/AI toolboxes:

• a Julia package called MLJ, Machine Learning in Julia,

• a Python package sktime (sklearn-like toolbox for time series related modeling tasks).

We’d like to invite all interested parties to apply for our tutorial and development sprint hosted in London, in the week commencing:

• 17th of June and/or
  • 24th of June

depending on applications received and applicants’ availabilities.

We are interested in both Python or Julia users and machine-learning enthusiasts, and those with no prior experience, but who are keen to learn and try out our packages and give your honest feedback.

Travel to, and accommodation in London will be covered subject to successful application - see funding conditions and further important details below.

The aim of this gathering is to:

• Conduct first-line user testing of our latest stable version (beginners)

• Creation of tutorials, improvement of documentation (intermediate)

• Interface, implement or integrate models from other packages (intermediate)

• Implement new features in a coding sprint (advanced users)

• Work together and socialize with other members of the Julia and pydata communities (everyone!)

During the week(s), introductory lectures to the toolboxes and practical machine learning will be offered and integrated with the schedule.

Remote contribution to the projects, of course, will remain possible during the week(s), but please note that the event will primarily take place on-site with limited capacity.

Applications are now open at
https://forms.gle/Y1QEq6ZMuXyd2Kh4A. Applicants
will receive an acceptance / rejection letter by May 30 (London time).

Kind Regards,

The MLJ and sktime Development teams

Application process and reimbursement:

Please apply by 5pm (GMT+1 = London time), May 29, by filling out the form at https://forms.gle/Y1QEq6ZMuXyd2Kh4A.
Outcomes will be communicated by May 30, 2019.

If you require travel, please make sure to book, and send your travel booking invoice by May 31, 5pm (GMT+1 = London time), to julia@turing.ac.uk .
Please note you will only be reimbursed if your application has been successful.
Please note that even if you are attending as a local, you can be reimbursed for travel within London.

Accommodation will be provided in London by the Alan Turing Institute in a hotel near the event venue, please do not book accommodation yourself as it will not be reimbursed.

Transparency notice

How we use your personal information

We will collect your name, address, email address, phone number, and other information specified above that you provide to us. This will be stored by University of Warwick for the duration of the Fellowship and as long is required for immigration purposes.

Authorized administrators/researchers from UCL, The Alan Turing Institute will use this personal information to support the event.

We aim to align our information storage and information management policies with the GDPR regulations, the EU legislation protecting personal information rights. Find out more about GDPR.

Lawful Basis for using your personal information

We will only use your personal information where the law allows us to. We use your personal information under the lawful basis of Contract.

Information sharing

We will not sell or rent your information or share it with other companies for marketing purposes.

Information security

We have put in place:

1. appropriate security measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed; and
  2. procedures to deal with any suspected information security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.

How long will we keep your personal information?

Application information will be destroyed after the event.

Contact us

For further information or to provide feedback on our transparency notice, would like us to remove any of your personal information that we hold, please contact us at julia@turing.ac.uk

Your rights

You have the right to be informed of how we collect and use your information, the right to access this information, to rectification, to erasure, to restrict processing, to information portability, to object to how we use your information, and rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling.

To exercise any of your rights in relation to your personal information, please contact

You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) regarding how we use your information.

7 Likes

Thank you @ablaom for sharing it. Any chance that the tutorials will be recorded? I am particularly interested in implementing the MLJ.jl API in some of my packages.

Not sure about these events, but Anthony’s talk on MLJ at the London meetup is on youtube: MLJ - Machine Learning for Julia - YouTube

@juliohm We might record the tutorials at some point, if not at the event. If you are wanting to implement our API, I am happy to provide guidance. What kind of models are you interested in doing?

I have models such as KrigingEstimators.jl that may be a good fit. But there are many other things that I have in mind for which MLJ.jl will help. Will keep you posted when a minimum implementation is ready.

1 Like

Unfortunately I just now found this thread :cold_sweat:. I am a data analyst that is fairly new to machine learning and I’ve just found the MLJ package. I’ve been using Julia for about 9 months and my experience has been that learning ML with Julia is quite difficult (as opposed to more established languages) so I’m hoping that I can make some progress and build some simple models with MLJ!

Keep up the awesome work with this package!!!