[ANN] NOAAData.jl - Access NOAA Climate Daily & Monthly Data

Just wanted to announce a small package I just released that wraps the NOAA climate API (Web Services API (version 2) Documentation | Climate Data Online (CDO) | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)) called NOAAData.jl.

Right now, it just supports the daily GHCND and monthly GSOM data sets, but I hope to add more in the future.

You can find instructions on use here: https://github.com/pazzo83/NOAAData.jl
… but it’s pretty simple. You will need an API key from NOAA to actually get data (Web Services API Token Request | Climate Data Online (CDO) | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)) and, for a particular station of record, you’ll need its actual GHCND station id (for NYC’s Central Park, it is GHCND:USW00094728).

One easy way to find out this is to Google the station/airport IATA code (e.g. JFK, LGA, DCA, etc) and “GHCND”, and typically the first result is from NOAA which will give you the GHCND id.

You can also search from here: Search | Climate Data Online (CDO) | National Climatic Data Center (NCDC)
Once you find your city, you can open the summary and click on “Station List” on the left to view all the GHCND stations for that area (be sure the dates you use are valid for that station).

Once you get your data, right now you can keep it in the raw “array of dicts” format, or you can convert it into an IndexedTable or DataTable.

I’d love to get feedback on how to make improvements to the package as well!
NOTE: Only v0.6+ is supported

10 Likes