[ANN] ElectronDisplay.jl v1.0.0 released

We just released ElectronDisplay.jl v1.0.0, see the anouncement on the www.queryverse.org blog.

The major new feature is an entirely new UI that is inspired by the PowerPoint model of having a list of thumbnail views on the left, and then an active plot/slide that is shown in big.

Plus, you can easily copy any plot from the plot gallery to the clipboard, which makes for a nice workflow if you want to paste figures into some other program.

All the work for this was done by the awesome @TonyLianLong, who is a UC Berkeley undergraduate who is working on various Julia related stuff as part of a research assistant gig. And more is coming, he has a PR ready that integrates all of this into the Julia VS Code extension!

22 Likes

I just tried it and it seems quite useful. A few questions

• How does the copy-paste functionality work? I tried copying a plot and pasting into libre office but it only pasted a whitespace
  • I seem to loose interactivity in the plots if I use ElectronDisplay, in the sense that I can no longer zoom into plots etc. with Plots.jl backends that support such things. Is there a way to enable this?
  • Every time i click on the inteface, a bunch of text is printed in the terminal, is this deliberate?
    [4069:0206/155146.687870:ERROR:buffer_manager.cc(488)] [.DisplayCompositor]GL ERROR :GL_INVALID_OPERATION : glBufferData: <- error from previous GL command
  • The shortcuts mentioned for zooming does not work on my machine.

Thanks for this useful package.

I also cannot interact with the plots (e.g. zooming).
Also, after loading ElectronDisplay, is there a way to switch back (and forth) to the default display of the graphical package in use?

It should just be Ctrl+C (or Cmd+C), if that doesn’t work, could you please open an issue?

So that is presumably a Plots.jl backend specific thing. We would have to add support for that explicitly. We probably should, but right now that is not supported. An issue would be great!

No, ideally we should also hide that. Another issue? :slight_smile:

There shouldn’t be a shortcut for zooming mentioned anywhere, because we don’t support. Where did you see that language? We should remove it.

You can do Base.Multimedia.popdisplay() to remove the currently active display from the top of the display stack, i.e. we just hook into the standard Julia multimedia display story there.