An animal for Julia?

Wow, I guess this precludes the butterfly mascot :laughing:

Once upon a time, if you googled “Julia” the top hit was “Julia Roberts”, so there’s always hope.

2 Likes

Let’s try to keep it respectful, folks.

5 Likes

The problem with this butterfly is that it’s called Dryas iulia, not julia. I’ve worked with them in the past, not very remarkable butterflies, to be honest. Very common and widespread, though.

1 Like

Tomāto Tomäto :slight_smile:

Kidding aside, I think that “the Julia butterfly” is nice, I wouldn’t use the scientific name. It seems to be the common name, per the all mighty wisdom of the Internets:

Dryas iulia (often incorrectly spelled julia), commonly called the Julia butterfly, Julia heliconian, the flame, or flambeau…

The beautiful Julia Heliconian butterfly ( Dryas iulia) has bright orange color with a narrow black border on the hindwing

Julia Heliconian (Dryas iulia). This graceful orange southern beauty

The Julia Heliconian (Dryas julia) (sometimes the scientific name is given as D. iulia as well) is a butterfly of south Florida

5 Likes

A Wolpertinger, it can only be a Wolpertinger!!!

3 Likes

Just a thought: many flying insects have ocelli, simple eyes that look a lot like the three Julia dots. Just look at all these options! Might make the adoption of any bees, ants, wasps, flies, dragonflies, and grasshoppers easier…

An image in this page is almost the Julia logo: X-ray vision | Laboratory News

Yap.

Since there was talk of mythical horses I feel one should mention Odin’s eight-legged horse (and Loki’s child) Sleipnir, described as the best and fastest of all.
Not exactly cute, though.

3 Likes

Bayern braucht Wolpertinger wie Wolpertinger Bayern!

Great idea.

Julia is the fastest language nowadays, so let’s go with a cheetah

First draft :

julia logo w animal

We even got a rhyme cheetah/julia
Easy to pronounce, easy to remember

Another thing that’s essential for a mascot is the ability to put costumes on it:

// how else are you going to know what month it is outside?

1 Like

How about a peregrine falcon (Falco peregrinus)? They are even faster than cheetahs! and they are also cosmopolitans, living all around the world, just like Julians. :wink:

1 Like

Not an animal, but there has been Julia-tan for a while, this character is ideal for costumes! :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I love Julia-Tan, I need to get a new sticker for my new phone :grinning:
As far as an animal though, I really like griffins!

1 Like

I think it would be much better to have a non-human animal than a human. Everybody loves animals, nobody likes humans.

I still think the butterfly is the best one.

3 Likes

In particular since the community guidelines state explicitly that julia is not a female human. I can get behind the butterfly.

7 Likes

I also like the idea of a cute platypus (so sad I suck at drawing), they do look cute as plushes <3

4 Likes