A simple development environment for Julia

Hello,
I’m sure Julia’s team knows that one of the secrets of a successful project is having a good graphical environment. I looked at a few Julia GUIs as a hobbyist, but they didn’t really fit. I think an environment like https://www.bloodshed.net/ is necessary for Julia and it will definitely increase its users.

Thank you.

I’m not sure what you mean by GUI here but if you’re talking about an Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for writing and executing code, you can easily use Julia in VSCode.

6 Likes

Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply.
Visual Studio is a large and relatively complex program.

It might seem like that, but I think most users only need to learn the shortcut Ctrl + Shift + P which allows one to search for the needed commands. Besides that, the experience when using Julia is quite smooth and the plots pop up where they should and errors are displayed well.

Note that VS Code \neq Visual Studio. (And I also used to love(d) Dev C++, but this also a fairly old program. On the Julia side, Juno was probably the equivalent program as the cannonical Julia IDE, but then the developers joined forces to make the VS Code extension great. Even though it is only an extension, it has all the features of a full fledged IDE.)

4 Likes

Sure, but it is also one of the most used across all languages, so I doubt making it the “flagship” IDE for Julia is hurting the language’s popularity.

Still, if you don’t like / want VSCode, there are plenty of smaller editors like Vim which also interact nicely with Julia, check out this list.

5 Likes

Just to clarify, @gdalle is suggesting VSCode (the open source plugin-friendly editor by Microsoft) which is NOT Visual Studio (the gigantic paid closed-source package of compilers, debuggers, and editors by Microsoft). The naming is admittedly confusing.

Edit: apologies, I see this was already addressed – did not saw that comment originally.

9 Likes

But it still worth to emphasize. I don’t think VS Code is “large and complex” which really should apply to Visual Studio.

2 Likes

Hello,
Thank you so much gor your reply.
Do I need to install Visual Studio to use VS Code?

No, you can install just Visual Studio Code, which is a different piece of software: Download Visual Studio Code - Mac, Linux, Windows

For further advice about your Julia workflows, you can check out our recent blog https://modernjuliaworkflows.org/

7 Likes

Vim + Copilot is the lightest platform in my side :slight_smile:

5 Likes

You clearly mean/compare to IDE, and then for sure go with the flow, meaning VS Code, even for C++ (there even Visual Studio). I hadn’t heard of bloodshed/“Dev-C++ is a full-featured C and C++ Integrated Development Environment (IDE) for Windows platforms.”:

Supports Windows 98, NT, 2000, XP

but it seems clearly old. Unless you have a really old computer I wouldn’t worry about size of VS Code.

If you meant GUI (also), then there are many options, e.g. QML.jl people swear by, but I have a feel Mousetrap.jl might be better. Also some web-based GUI for Julia possible.

Vim + Copilot is the lightest platform in my side :slight_smile:

Some AI like Copilot, or Cursor.AI, or OpenAI’s brand-new Canvas is very likely to help. Maybe more for beginners, and I’m, like others, betting on Canvas. It’s for paid users still, but they promise it for the free tier and I haven’t tried it yet, only AI without IDE support. You can also find such at JuliaHub. If you really want light, then Julia’s REPL is great (Python’s is also improved as of 3.13). You can have AI add-on in the REPL…

1 Like

Hello,
Copilot?

Hi,
Do you mean using AI for programming?
What do you mean by Python’s is also improved as of 3.13?
I think https://vscodium.com/ is much better than VS Code.

Please formulate your questions politely.

3 Likes

Then use that. What’s your question?

5 Likes

It has “MIT license. Telemetry is disabled.”, i.e. for free software purists, noting added, like new features (should be same memory requirements), I believe. It supports the same extensions, such as Julia’s, so feel free to use it.

Copilot AI (yes, it’s an AI tool to help with e.g. programming, also Canvas from OpenAI, and Cursor.AI etc.) might work there too (is seemingly simply an extension), but I’m not sure:

But Copilot is a “free trial”, seemingly proprietary, so if you’re a purist you wouldn’t used it, and if not, might as well go with VS Code.

I meant in same sense, I though context clear, its REPL is now improved (also has e.g. an experimental JIT compiler, off by default) and more see its release notes.

1 Like

I do not think it is intentionally impolite. Looking at the previous patterns most replies simply starts with the phrase “Hello,” :smiley:

1 Like

Hello,
I also wondered why he thought my answer was impolite.

Hey @hack3rcon, most of your posts here have been so short and formulaic that they read almost like you’re prompting a chatbot. We ask that folks here put some effort into their posts and try to improve the conversation. This also includes taking some time to see what’s been posted on the subject in the past. And it involves getting a sense for what the community norms around posting are.

Brevity is definitely a virtue, but you’ve gone so far that your posts are nearly devoid of content beyond the “Hello” and the most minimal of prodding prompts. A one word prod like the above isn’t polite because it’s asking someone to spend time and energy to answer you without you putting any time and energy into even formulating the most basic of questions.

I care about this space, and so I put time and effort into the posts I author here. The community here does, too — and that’s precisely how this forum has become such an incredible resource.

Both @gdalle and myself are moderators — and we’ve seen folks getting frustrated at the low-effort posts you’ve been making. The site FAQ is a good resource for describing how we think of the space here and how we ask that folks contribute. If you have any questions please don’t hesitate to reach out to either of us.

19 Likes

The phrase “Hello, copilot?” may be interpreted as someone being irritated that the other person is dense, not paying attention, or intentionally misunderstanding. Of course, it is also possible that you did not intend what the other people in this thread may have been acribing to you. (English is my second language too. Been there…)

3 Likes