A function got exactly the type it expected, so why is it throwing a TypeError?

question

Hello everyone!

I’m having a vexing problem with TypeError that is getting in the way of me producing a large amount of needed data.

Imagine a function foo whose return type is Array{T,2}, and a more complicated function bar whose return type is Array{Tuple{Array{Array{T,2},1},Array{Float64,1}},1}. I’m using parallel processing to produce a 2-dimensional array with dimensions NumberOfRows and NumberOfColumns.

The following code works without problems

MyFooArray = @parallel hcat for i=1:NumberOfColumns
[foo() for j=1:NumberOfRows]
end

The following also works OK

Column_1 = [bar() for j=1:NumberOfRows]
Column_2 = [bar() for j=1:NumberOfRows]
FirstTwoColumns = hcat(Column_1,Column_2)

Now here comes the problem. What I really want is not a 2d Array of Foos, but a 2d Array of Bars. In the last example, I produced one without a hitch, so hopefully I can produce a bigger one using a loop, right? Let’s try that

MyBarArray = @parallel hcat for i=1:NumberOfColumns
[bar() for j=1:NumberOfRows]
end

When I run this, julia throws the following TypeError

ERROR: TypeError: collect_to!: in typeassert, expected Array{Tuple{Array{Array{T,2},1},Array{Float64,1}},1}, got Array{Tuple{Array{Array{T,2},1},Array{Float64,1}},1}

What could be causing this? It got exactly the type it expected.

Thanks so much for your help.

Philip

@parallel vcat throws TypeError but @parallel hcat does not

Can you please provide your foo() and bar() functions? Or at least some dummy functions that reproduce the error? It will be much easier to help if we can see a reproducible example.

Also, you can use triple backticks to quote your code like this:

```
code
```

Hi Robin,

As an dummy example of what I meant by foo, let’s say that we have

MyFooArray = @parallel hcat for i=1:5
   [-rand(20,j)*rand(j,100) for j=1:10]
end

What I meant by bar is the function

function DowkerPersistentintervals(A::Matrix)::Tuple{Array{Array{T,2},1},Array{Float64,1}}

which computes the persistent homology intervals of the filtered Dowker complex of a matrix and is part of the Simplicial package

What works fine is the following

@everywhere using Simplicial
Column1=[DowkerPersistentintervals(-rand(20,j)*rand(j,100),1,2,"Core_$(myid())_Temp") for j = 1:10];
Column2=[DowkerPersistentintervals(-rand(20,j)*rand(j,100),1,2,"Core_$(myid())_Temp") for j = 1:10];
MySimpleBarArray=hcat(Column1,Column2)

Where things go sour is when I do this

MyBarArray = @parallel hcat for i=1:2
   [DowkerPersistentintervals(-rand(20,j)*rand(j,100),1,2,"Core_$(myid())_Temp") for j=1:10]
end

which should give the same result, as MySimpleBarArray, but instead throws

ERROR: TypeError: collect_to!: in typeassert, expected Array{Tuple{Array{Array{T,2},1},Array{Float64,1}},1}, got Array{Tuple{Array{Array{T,2},1},Array{Float64,1}},1}

Thanks so much for your help.

Actually, never mind, for some reason it works for large data sets but not small ones. I don’t know why but I won’t complain about it. Consider the matter closed. Thanks anyhow.