Writing Arrow record batch requires a lot of RAM

I am using this function to save a batch Arrow files into a single Arrow file with record batches:

function combinebatches(path::String, file::String, batches)
    files = Array{String,1}()
    for i = 1:batches
        push!(files,joinpath(path, "$(file)$(i).arrow"))
    end
    arrow_parts = Tables.partitioner(Arrow.Table, files)
    open(joinpath(path, "$(file)_batched.arrow"), "w") do io
        Arrow.write(io, arrow_parts, compress=:zstd)
    end
    #delete chunks
    for i = 1:batches
        rm(joinpath(path, "$(file)$(i).arrow"))
    end
    return nothing
end #combinebatches

When saving about 25 uncompressed arrow files with an average size of 1.8 GB each, required a RAM size of around 50GB. As I am partitioning my data to save RAM, this is creating a problem with the high RAM usage (in this case > 50GB). I was expecting that one would not require more than the maximum size of each single file (or perhaps number of threads x file size) to save the record batch.

JULIA_NUM_THREADS is set to 4.

I am using Arrow v1.6.2

CC @quinnj

This is certainly unexpected as you’ve described things. A few things that come to mind that we should look into:

• Although we’ve made some efforts to ensure writing an Arrow.Table out avoids making copies, it’s possible we’re missing something here and things are getting unnecessarily converted or materialized
  • We’ve seen a potentially related issue in CSV.jl where large chunks of memory seem to get “stuck” and not reclaimed by the GC. That bug is still under investigation.
2 Likes

That would be great, although I am processing close to a billion records in my DataFrames-based workflow (longitudinal population studies - a record for each day in the life of some 150 000 individuals), I have managed to keep my RAM usage generally below 64GB using the great partition features of Arrow, coupled with DataFrame’s amazing performance, but reducing the time from 8.5 days using a Java-based workflow to 1 day using Julia.

Happy to know that I am not doing something stupid in my code, also happy to test any change on my workflow if that would help.

1 Like

do you happen to use Spark?

No, Pentaho.