Workstation advice (for mostly Julia use)

I already have the sas code of the mcmc methodology i want to use, and it is from 2002. I kind of remember HMC is newer than that, right? I think i will just do the translation from sas to julia. If i need more advanced stuff, i will take look at hmc.

MCMC is of course embarrassingly parelellisable, but usually one does not run more than 5 chains.

At home, Iā€™ve been using an AMD Ryzen 3900X with 32GB of RAM. It has been working fantastically for Julia parallel processing. Iā€™m very happy with it (was on sale last year for ~$400). It is about twice as fast as the Intel i5 8th Gen laptop I was issued by my work. Both the 3900X and the 5900X score well on PassMarkā€™s price to value chart (PassMark CPU Value Chart - Performance / Price of available CPUs).

I think 24 threads is a sweet spot for developing parallel programs. If you are processing large problems on a daily basis, then something bigger might be required depending on the value of your time and how fast you need to turn around projects. While I would like a Threadripper 3990X, the cost is very high (~$4,000), so I would have to be getting a tremendous value from the speed up. Maybe if I was researching a cure or vaccine, then the speed would be justified.

4 Likes