Why is there nothing like Pluto.jl in Python?

I’m new to Julia and found Pluto.jl just amazing. I don’t know much about the techs behind Pluto so I wonder why is there nothing like that in Python ecosystem. Is it related to the JIT?

3 Likes

There is one that was mentioned in the Pluto Developers call, Marimo. It was apparently inspired by Pluto.

7 Likes

If Pyodide and Marimo work well together, it will be a great way to share notebooks with students. No installations, no virtual servers, everything would run locally. If it works well, I will consider using Python again in my teaching.

Hi :wave:! I’m one of the marimo developers.

Similar to Pluto.jl (and unlike ipyflow), marimo is a brand new reactive notebook meant to be used as a substitute for Jupyter notebooks. Obviously it’s for Python, not Julia.

marimo is used today by a large research institution and a few companies. We’re also integrating it in a Stanford course next quarter. One feature that our users like: marimo notebooks can easily be deployed as web apps. marimo edit at the command line to edit a notebook, marimo run to serve it as an app.

@runjaj, we don’t have a WASM/Pyodide build yet. Is it just too much hassle to get your students set up with Python?

4 Likes

The webapp feature looks really cool!

1 Like