Why is LoopVectorization deprecated?

I did not say Julia 1.11 is not relevant. I’m saying it is not the priority at the moment for improving package performance. There are other priorities with regard to Julia 1.11 itself that need to be addressed. I would rather have a solid foundation in Julia 1.11 rather than trying to build on top of one that is still under construction.

Julia 1.10 will likely be the Long Term Support release when Julia 1.11 is released. At that point, users will have a choice between Julia 1.10 and Julia 1.11, which both will be supported by patches. If that happens and Julia 1.10 is faster for you, by all means use Julia 1.10.

From my perspective, the higher priorities at the moment are as follows.

1. Security issues. The XZ backdoor is an acute problem. A chronic issue is mbedTLS long term support for Julia 1.10.
  2. Julia 1.11 package compatibility for those using stable interfaces. For example, fixing libuv so that Cthulhu.jl’s of pipes during precompilation does not fail. Bump Libuv by Keno · Pull Request #8347 · JuliaPackaging/Yggdrasil · GitHub
  3. Improving Julia 1.11 performance and latency. For example, making sure that loading Pkg.jl version 1.11 does not invalidate code in the Julia 1.11 system image: Pkg.BinaryPlatforms invalidates Base.BinaryPlatforms · Issue #3702 · JuliaLang/Pkg.jl · GitHub

As you can see there are still a bunch of moving pieces to make Julia 1.11 a viable release.

1 Like