What's the difference between CSV.jl and CSVFiles.jl?

They are two independent CSV readers. You should use whichever suits your needs better :slight_smile:

I maintain CSVFilesjl, so I can probably better speak to that one. Here are some things I like about it:

• It is part of the larger Queryverse.jl file IO story, which gives you a nice uniform API not just for CSV files, but also ExcelFiles.jl, FeatherFiles.jl, StatFiles.jl (Stata, SPSS, and SAS files), and ParquetFiles.jl. All of that is documented here.
  • It works with any source or sink that implements the TableTraits.jl interface. When I last counted that was something like 21 packages.
  • It uses TextParse.jl under the hood, which is fast. And getting faster, there are a bunch of things on master and in branches that are not yet reflected in the benchmarks I posted there.
  • It is a mature package, by julia standards. Its been around for about 1.5 years. It gets a continues stream of improvements, but the basic structure has been settled and battle tested since the beginning. It has been a very stable story, and I expect that to stay that way going forward, i.e. I generally try very hard to not break things, and the track record so far has been pretty good, I think :slight_smile:
  • You can read gz compressed files out of the box. I’m just mentioning this here, because in a hilarious twist the package has supported that for a long time, but I only found out a few weeks ago :slight_smile: See here.
9 Likes