What is the correct order to use factorization matrices in multiplication?

I tried to have the result of `` but it gave error. So, I tried adj_factor.L*adj_factor.U*adj_factor.F*V but it gave different result with adj*V.
Could you please tell me what is the correct order of L,U,P to have the same result between?

using SparseArrays, LinearAlgebra, KLU

adj = sparse([1.0 0 0 0 0; 0 1 0 -1 0; 0 -1 1 0 0; 1 0 0 0 -1; 1 -1 0 0 0]);
V = [4,5,6,7,8];
adj_factor = klu(adj);

julia> adj*V
5-element Vector{Float64}:

julia> adj_factor*V
ERROR: MethodError: no method matching *(::KLU.KLUFactorization{Float64, Int64}, ::Vector{Int64})

julia> adj_factor.L*adj_factor.U*adj_factor.F*V
5-element Vector{Float64}:

What operation are you trying to perform here?

You normally use LU factors to solve systems, i.e. you do x = adj_factor \ V to find the solution x of adj * x = V.

If it helps, the following holds

(adj_factor.L * adj_factor.U + adj_factor.F)==diagm(adj_factor.Rs)\adj[adj_factor.p,adj_factor.q] # true

Edit: as stevengj mentions, normally you decompose to solve a system, not to multiply the matrix with something (in that case you could directly use your matrix)

My main goal is to find a way to accelerate the multiplication of two matrices (one or both are sparse/s). So, I though that factorizing one and multiplying it by the other can be faster.

That will be significantly slower.

Ok, is there a package in Julia for fast multiplication?

Julia’s built in sparse matrix multiplication should already be pretty good. Is there a specific reason you think faster should be possible?

I am profiling my code (takes 5 sec) against another program (coded in Fortran and takes 2.13 sec). It is a time loop simulation 1:25e-6:0.6.
I found my code spends 1.5 sec at the line of multiplication (as in my first post). So, I started to think if there is a faster way to do the multiplication. I tried to use “MKLSparse.jl” but no gain. I am not sure if it is activated correctly in my julia.

julia> BLAS.lbt_get_config()
LinearAlgebra.BLAS.LBTConfig
Libraries:
└ [ILP64] mkl_rt.2.dll

How long is the Fortran spending in each part? The Fortran is likely using the same libraries as Julia for the multiplication, so I would think the time difference would be in a different part.

1 Like

I cannot access the source code in Fortran. I can only see the execution time.

Other than the matrix multiplication, what are the other 3.5 seconds spent on in Julia?

The remaining time is for solution x =A\b, multiplication (other simple matrices), addition, and storing.

I would suggest to describe the problem in detail. It is possible to find examples of poor performance when multiplying matrices, especially when mixing dense and sparse matrices.

3 Likes

Thanks for your tip. Actually, I just want to find a way to accelerate the multiplication. Like new libraries or method.