What if I want a simpler IDE for Julia?

The point was discussed at great length in this thread among others. To summarize - the point is not that shipping an IDE with julia prevents others from developing alternatives, it’s that

1. it would take substantial development energy to produce, development energy that many feel is better directed at core language features
  2. Once shipped, it would require continued developer time and attention
  3. There are already lots of other super usable alternatives, including the default julia REPL
  4. Since many people are apt to use / work on the default, any built-in editor could take outside developer attention away from other efforts

Well, there’s at least one problem. It doesn’t exist, and no one is working towards this goal as far as I know. “Simple basic effective IDE” is, I think, not quite as simple as you seem to believe. Then again, you’re free to open an issue or better yet, a pull request with such a feature.

I’m not actually trying to convince you of anything there. I’m stating my preference.

You seem to think this is more antagonistic than it’s intended. I’m not arguing with you - I’m stating a different opinion, and telling you why I hold that opinion. My “cannot be pierced” argument is that the folks in a position to contribute to such a project have better things to do with their time.

7 Likes