Washington DC Greater Metro Area meet up for JuliaCon 2022?

I’d also be interested.

1 Like

I think we could try to aim for a presencial event and have a virtual one as a backup depending on interest/availability/feasibility. If anyone has suggestions for a venue we can start planning something. In the past, when I hosted such events it was at a conference room at a former’s employer. I don’t know if we want to aim for something similar where we have some formal presentation discussion or something more informal, meet & greet talk about the experience, interest, projects, etc. That may be a at a café / bar / public library, etc.

Some venues which other meets of similar communities have used include the World Bank, IMF, etc. but unless someone works there I think we can kickstart it with a public library or food/drink establishment (hopefully public transportation accesible).

In terms of time for the event, I found that early afternoons works pretty good (around 15h). We can adjust depending on the specifics and preferences of those that would be interested in attending.

1 Like

I’m also interested!

2 Likes

I’ll start with a venue near me, One Loudoun in Ashburn, VA:
https://www.downtownoneloudoun.com/dine

The location is directly north of Dulles Airport. It would take about ~15 minutes to Uber from Dulles.

We could meet up at one of the bars there such as Loudoun - VA | City Tap House . There are a few other locations in the area. I suggest 7 pm time as a meeting time.

Just pinging everyone again if there any interest in coming out to Loudoun County. Otherwise, perhaps we should organize a virtual get together, if only to mainly plan a later in-person meetup.

Roll call:

1. @Nosferican
  2. @pazzo83
  3. @pdeffebach
  4. @Daniel_Berge
  5. @Akatz

Feel free to nominate another locale.

Something in Loudon works for me, including at One Loudon.

1 Like

Loudoun is a bit far for me, but I can participate in something virtually! I have two young kids so my schedule is always kind of crazy - so please don’t try to do something closer to DC if Loudoun is easy for everyone else. I would like to meet all of you at some point though!

1 Like

honestly once the train is running out to Loudoun (seems like that is happening this fall - FINALLY) getting there will be easier for me. I try to avoid driving in northern VA if I can lol.

2 Likes

I’m interested although getting from Gaithersburg to Loudon, short of swimming the Potomac, is a haul. What day were you thinking of?

1 Like

Feel free to propose a meeting spot on that side of the Potomac!

I’m thinking 7 pm Wednesday July 27th at https://www.downtownoneloudoun.com/sullivans-cove . They have outside seating as well.

Regardless of which side of the Potomac, it will be inconvenient for someone. Sullivan’s Cove works.

1 Like

For a virtual Zoom call, would people be interested in one before, during, or after JuliaCon?

That works for me.

@mkitti So are we still planning on 7pm tomorrow?

1 Like

I will be there. DM me if you would like to exchange cell phone numbers.

Who is planning to attend today?

I was hoping to attend but I’m still testing positive (aarg!!). (Feel fine but…)

1 Like

I’ll be there.

1 Like

Would anyone be interested in a Gather.town virtual meet up on Friday? If so, what time?