This post is a summary of a Slack thread (thanks @davidanthoff) that I wanted to make more publicly available.
I recently upgraded to an M1 Pro MacBook from an older Intel model and started getting a strange message every time I opened a Julia REPL in VSCode:
The latest version of Julia in the `release` channel is 1.10.0+0.x64.apple.darwin14. You currently have `1.10.0+0.aarch64.apple.darwin14` installed. Run:
to install Julia 1.10.0+0.x64.apple.darwin14 and update the `release` channel to that version.
But whenever I ran
juliaup update in a regular REPL, the
release tag pointed to the
aarch64 version rather than the
% juliaup list | grep release
There were three factors at play:
- I had transferred all of the data from my old Mac to the new one, which meant an x64 version of VSCode as well. I downloaded the Apple Silicon version specifically, but continued to get the same error messages.
- I had installed
juliaupusing both the recommend installation script and Homebrew. To fix this, I ran
brew uninstall juliaupand then confirmed that
juliaupwas still installed somewhere by running
- The settings in VSCode (
Julia: Executable Path) had been changed (I can’t remember whether I did this myself a long time ago or not) to point to
/usr/local/bin/julia, which is not the path used by
juliaup. I reset this setting.
I did both 2 and 3 without testing in between, so I’m not sure which one solved the problem, but the error messages are gone now. Moral of the story: take the warnings in the
juliaup README about other installation methods seriously!