VS code and Juila system image?

I haven’t been coding much lately, so I’m a bit out of touch with recent developments. In the past, VScode-julia would find and use a system image in the project directory, but that seems not to be the case now. From a plain linux zsh, the system image works fine. Also, the previously available build task to create a system image does not seem to be present. Am I missing something, or has system image support been removed?

using v 1.124.2 of the extension, and Julia 1.11, with juliaup

We removed the feature because our sense was that is was rarely used and it was hard to maintain, plus now that native code is stored by Julia itself the use-case for creating custom system images is much less strong…

2 Likes

On more reason not use the VSCode Julia shell, but a plain Bash shall from within VSCode so that you can start Julia with any parameters you need, or with a script.

1 Like

OK, thanks, that’s understandable. It’s true that it’s not needed nearly as much as before. I will try out the persistent session tmux stuff. That could accomplish more or less the same result, for me at least.

I use Vscode-julia mostly to run blocks of code interactively when teaching, so I think I need the vscode shell for that, no?

Well, you can always just copy and past blocks of code into the REPL. And yes, using the VSCode Julia shell makes that more convenient, but it is a matter of taste, everything has advantages and disadvantages.

You can use the “connect to external repl” command instead. The “external” REPL can still be from a vs code terminal

1 Like