Vizcon , 29th-30th Oct Berlin

No it doesn’t work:

julia> using FileIO

julia> const a = 1; f(x) = a+x
f (generic function with 1 method)

julia> FileIO.save("/tmp/t.jld2", "f", f)

julia> 
...julia/meetup/nov2018 >> julia
               _
   _       _ _(_)_     |  Documentation: https://docs.julialang.org
  (_)     | (_) (_)    |
   _ _   _| |_  __ _   |  Type "?" for help, "]?" for Pkg help.
  | | | | | | |/ _` |  |
  | | |_| | | | (_| |  |  Version 1.0.2 (2018-11-08)
 _/ |\__'_|_|_|\__'_|  |  
|__/                   |

julia> using FileIO

julia> f = FileIO.load("/tmp/t.jld2", "f")
┌ Warning: type Main.#f does not exist in workspace; reconstructing
└ @ JLD2 ~/.julia/packages/JLD2/KjBIK/src/data.jl:1061
getfield(JLD2.ReconstructedTypes, Symbol("##Main.#f#360"))()

julia> f(1)
ERROR: MethodError: objects of type getfield(JLD2.ReconstructedTypes, Symbol("##Main.#f#360")) are not callable
Stacktrace:
 [1] top-level scope at none:0

does it work with any of the general-purpose file storage things? JLD, BSON, others?

(Nevermind)

I’m curious, is there anything (such as this) you can do in Matlab regarding plotting, that you can’t do (fast) with Julia, if you just choose the right package?

Or for that matter in Python (e.g. though matplotlib) or from R to name the languages with the best plotting, or at least now most used.

You can now use Matplotlib in Julia with the exact same syntax as in Python (with the PyCall.jl branch for overloading dot; it’s just sitting there working, waiting to be rebased and merged).

Isn’t matplotlib the major Python plotting package and even dominant?

Since it’s a clone of Matlab’s capabilities, does it have all those features (and maybe more)?

I also believe we can get R’s dominant plotting solution[s] using RCall.jl.

I really like that Makie (and Plots etc.) is being made to have pure Julia solutions, and seemingly even better. I’m just curious if we are already as fast and capable with the other solutions. It seems also important to be able to say to people you can use Python tutorial for plotting.

This is a really great interim solution, and if people complain about functionality that’s currently missing in Plots or Makie, it’s worth pointing out. But it’s definitely not a long term solution, and dealing with dependencies is a much higher hurdle (plus, though this is minor, one loses things like syntax highlighting inside R or py strings in Juno).