Using end variable in ranges passed to functions other than getindex?

I expected the following to work:

julia> a = [1,2,3,4,5]
5-element Array{Int64,1}:

julia> deleteat!(a, end-1:end)
ERROR: syntax: unexpected "end"

julia> a[end-1:end]
2-element Array{Int64,1}:

I expected it to delete the last two variables in the array, instead it errors out. Any thoughts on why this behavior happens? Is this a bug?

The parser treats end inside square brackets different from end outside square brackets (where it means “end of block” as in for i = 1:10 ... end).

Not quite as succinct, but you could use endof:

deleteat!(a, endof(a)-1:endof(a))

In particular the parser (or rather the “lowering” phase that happens right after parsing) converts any end inside a[...] into a call to endof(a).

You can see this explicitly by calling @code_lowered:

julia> f(a) = a[end-1:end]

f (generic function with 1 method)

julia> @code_lowered f([1,2,3,4])

CodeInfo(:(begin 

nothing

return (Main.getindex)(a, (Main.colon)((Base.endof)(a) - 1, (Base.endof)(a)))

end))

Thanks everyone for the explanations. That makes sense. But is this the best behavior? Could the parser not just recognize ends that are parts of ranges and convert those to Base.endof?

I can’t really answer that question, but I think it’s more complicated.

To expand on Steven’s reply, the lowering of end is context-sensitive. For example, within a multi-dimensional array index, end is lowered to size(a, dim) where dim is determined by the position of end within the index:

Julia-0.6.0> f(a) = a[1, end-1:end, 3]
f (generic function with 1 method)

Julia-0.6.0> @code_lowered f(Array{Int}(3,4,5))
CodeInfo(:(begin
        nothing
        return (Main.getindex)(a, 1, (Main.colon)((Base.size)(a, 2) - 1, (Base.size)(a, 2)), 3)
    end))