Unable to install IJulia package

Apologies if this is the wrong area.

I was directed here from the IJulia Github page (I got it wrong there also)

I am unable install IJulia on Windows 10.

Please let me know if I should continue or this topic should move to a different area.

Welcome to the discourse forum!

Which Julia version do you use?
What did you try and which error message do you get?

in a Julia console:

Julia 1.8.5

using Pkg

Very long out put after that, is there a place to post that (ie. not here?)

Do you have a clean environment?
What is the output of:

using Pkg

It’s a fresh install. That was the first package I tried to install.

julia> using Pkg

julia> Pkg.status()
Status C:\Users\snowz\.julia\environments\v1.8\Project.toml (empty project)

I just tried it myself, add it worked without any issues. So if it causes issues for you we need to see the error message. If it is long, can you copy it into a .txt file and attach that file to your message?

Also interesting would be the output of:


and the amount of RAM and free disc space you have…

julia> using Pkg

julia> Pkg.status()
Status `C:\Users\ufechner\.julia\environments\v1.8\Project.toml` (empty project)

julia> Pkg.add("IJulia")
    Updating registry at `C:\Users\ufechner\.julia\registries\General`
    Updating git-repo `https://github.com/JuliaRegistries/General.git`
   Resolving package versions...
    Updating `C:\Users\ufechner\.julia\environments\v1.8\Project.toml`
  [7073ff75] + IJulia v1.24.0
    Updating `C:\Users\ufechner\.julia\environments\v1.8\Manifest.toml`
  [8f4d0f93] + Conda v1.7.0
  [7073ff75] + IJulia v1.24.0
  [692b3bcd] + JLLWrappers v1.4.1
  [682c06a0] + JSON v0.21.3
  [739be429] + MbedTLS v1.1.7
  [69de0a69] + Parsers v2.5.4
  [21216c6a] + Preferences v1.3.0
  [66db9d55] + SnoopPrecompile v1.0.3
  [b85f4697] + SoftGlobalScope v1.1.0
  [81def892] + VersionParsing v1.3.0
  [c2297ded] + ZMQ v1.2.2
  [8f1865be] + ZeroMQ_jll v4.3.4+0
  [a9144af2] + libsodium_jll v1.0.20+0
  [0dad84c5] + ArgTools v1.1.1
  [56f22d72] + Artifacts
  [2a0f44e3] + Base64
  [ade2ca70] + Dates
  [f43a241f] + Downloads v1.6.0
  [7b1f6079] + FileWatching
  [b77e0a4c] + InteractiveUtils
  [b27032c2] + LibCURL v0.6.3
  [76f85450] + LibGit2
  [8f399da3] + Libdl
  [56ddb016] + Logging
  [d6f4376e] + Markdown
  [a63ad114] + Mmap
  [ca575930] + NetworkOptions v1.2.0
  [44cfe95a] + Pkg v1.8.0
  [de0858da] + Printf
  [3fa0cd96] + REPL
  [9a3f8284] + Random
  [ea8e919c] + SHA v0.7.0
  [9e88b42a] + Serialization
  [6462fe0b] + Sockets
  [fa267f1f] + TOML v1.0.0
  [a4e569a6] + Tar v1.10.1
  [8dfed614] + Test
  [cf7118a7] + UUIDs
  [4ec0a83e] + Unicode
  [deac9b47] + LibCURL_jll v7.84.0+0
  [29816b5a] + LibSSH2_jll v1.10.2+0
  [c8ffd9c3] + MbedTLS_jll v2.28.0+0
  [14a3606d] + MozillaCACerts_jll v2022.2.1
  [83775a58] + Zlib_jll v1.2.12+3
  [8e850ede] + nghttp2_jll v1.48.0+0
  [3f19e933] + p7zip_jll v17.4.0+0
Precompiling project...
  16 dependencies successfully precompiled in 16 seconds


Site wont’ let me upload a .txt file. So jpg is attached.

julia> versioninfo()
Julia Version 1.8.5
Commit 17cfb8e65e (2023-01-08 06:45 UTC)
Platform Info:
OS: Windows (x86_64-w64-mingw32)
CPU: 12 × Intel(R) Core™ i7-4930K CPU @ 3.40GHz
LIBM: libopenlibm
LLVM: libLLVM-13.0.1 (ORCJIT, ivybridge)
Threads: 1 on 12 virtual cores

Well, that is an error that is not so easy to understand. Perhaps someone more experienced could have a look?

I can only guess:

  • is sys.dll corrupted?
  • a virus scanner deleted a file?
  • missing access permissions?

Hmm, virus scanner. Let me disable mine and try again with a fresh install.

I have admin access to this computer but as you can see i’m trying to install in a local profile.

For Julia there is normally NO need to be adminstrator, just try to do everything as normal user…

Ok. virus checker disabled.

Slightly different error this time. Attached.

I’ve tried a few other things.

I read in a forum (can’t recall where now) that deleting the General registry worked for those getting a similar error, but not for me.

I DO have WSL installed and I have IJulia installed in that, and Jupyter notebooks with it work as expected.

It’s only Windows 10 where it’s not working. For me anyway :slight_smile:

Your problem seems to be this issue (found by googling the relevant parts of the error message: "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" "fs__chmod"): add package crashes with Exception violation when I try to `add` any package · Issue #41642 · JuliaLang/julia · GitHub

1 Like

The only other thing you could try is to use an older Julia version, e.g. 1.8.3 to find out if this bug is specific to 1.8.5.

The problem with Windows is that exactly the same Windows version can have different system .dlls installed…

I believe I have solved the issue.

I use a ramdisk, with only 4gb of space (I can change the size at will).

I changed my env variables for the tmp/temp directory back to a data drive, and the package installed flawlessly (and worked with a Jupyter notebook.)

I am guess that the temp space needed is fairly large.

Really want to thank those who replied. Now I can go on to converting my Mathematica programs.

1 Like