Ubuntu archive not updating?

Hello everyone,

Index of /ubuntu/pool/universe/j/julia which houses the Julia binaries that is used by apt-get on ubuntu has not been updated since April. Is there a reason for this? I figured I’d post this here first and maybe post it here as well if need be. I prefer to install from apt-get because it is so much easier to do than downloading from the julialang website.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

AFAIK the Julia apt repo is not managed by any of the Julia developers. I’m not sure who is in charge of it, but it definitely has problems (e.g. Bug involving permutedims function - #2 by rdeits ).

I would recommend using the official binaries from julialang.org instead–they’re official, more up-to-date, and less likely to have unexpected bugs.

2 Likes

Good to know. It is too bad though that the easiest way to get Julia on Ubuntu has these issues. Oh well.

Yeah, I agree it’s too bad. Managing apt versions of frequently-updated tools always seems to be a bit of a mess (e.g. I’ve spent lots of time doing apt remove python-foo; pip install foo because the version of foo in apt is ancient or broken somehow).

2 Likes