Trying to install CauseMap, error...HELP

Whenever I try to install CauseMap, I get this message:

julia> using Pkg

julia> Pkg.add(“CauseMap”)

Updating registry at ~/.julia/registries/General

Updating git-repo https://github.com/JuliaRegistries/General.git

ERROR: The following package names could not be resolved:

• CauseMap (not found in project, manifest or registry)

why does everyone here get replies except me?

I wouldn’t say that everyone’s getting replies here except for you, sometimes things fall through the cracks but no one’s out to get you :wink:

I don’t know CauseMap, but a quick Google turned up this: GitHub - cyrusmaher/CauseMap.jl: Causal inference in non-linear dynamics systems - is this the page that you’re using? If so, it’s not surprising that it doesn’t work, as it looks unmaintained with the last commit in 2015, when Julia was (I think) at version 0.3. The current Julia version is 1.4 and many things have changed, so packages released before Julia 0.7 are unlikely to work out of the box in the latest Julia version.

This package therefore also isn’t registered in the general registry, which is what the error tells you. You can still add it from its GitHub URL to install it, but as I said it is highly unlikely that a package written for Julia 0.3 will work in 1.4. If you absolutely do need this package, you are of course free to install an old Julia copy and run the package from that!

2 Likes

Hey, rklee1! I didn’t know CauseMap before your post and I’ve tried to install in julia 1.4.1 by different ways (directly from git for example) and I didn’t succeed. If you really need the CauseMap, I would try to install an old copy of julia as @nilshg said and then try to install using Pkg or git. You can try to contact who made the package too :slight_smile: Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks nil, I got it to work now, but am still having problems with it. if you would like, I was wondering whether I could hire you to tutor me further in the use of this program. Let me know how much it would cost.

The page is: Quickstart — CauseMap 0.1.0 documentation

Thanks Saul, I got it to work now, but am still having problems with it. if you would like, I was wondering whether I could hire you to tutor me further in the use of this program. Let me know how much it would cost.

Sorry but I don’t think I’d necessarily be the best person to tutor here, given I’ve got no idea what this package is supposed to be doing!

If I was you I’d probably try starting a new thread about the actual problem you are trying to solve, as people might be able to point you to a different, better maintained package that achieves your goals.

If you want to go down the tutoring route, maybe Julia Computing’s training offer could work here, try getting in touch with them to see whether they can customize something for you that lets you learn what you need and at the same time brings the package up to date? I note that it’s only 500 or so LOC so might not be too hard to update!

Maybe @mbauman can comment on whether Julia Computing’s training would be a fit for this.

1 Like