Tab completion of \uXXXX in the REPL?

@foobar_lv2 This topic was split off from your recent discourse thread but it started as a suggestion addressing some of the issues in your posts in that discussion.

My proposal is adding better, more uniform support for Unicode entry by extending
the REPL tab completion from the current ad hoc LaTeX-ish expansions by allowing
expansion of any Unicode codepoint in the REPL.

I see this as more a polishing of the existing REPL expansion capability to allow entry
of any Unicode character and not just the set of characters that are blessed by historic
or common usage, such as \alpha or \mu. This would not only allow any Unicode
character to be entered, but could also enable search/recognition of existing aliases.
If there were no existing alias, it could offer an immediate ability to add an entry to
complete that character.

While there was a generally dismissive attitude towards this capability, the
discussions clarified what is available in the existing Julia support that could be
leveraged to smooth some of the rough edges:

1. String macros could be implemented (here are examples for Unicode only support
    and for LaTeX only support). N.B. My proposal would essentially combine these 2
    into the existing REPL TAB completion capability.

and

2. Entering the glyph as a character will display the unicode codepoint value

3. You can use string escape sequences to return a string with the desired unicode in it

For additional information on Unicode support currently in Julia, see the documentation for
the Unicode standard library.

I hope this collected information is helpful for anyone having some of these Unicode pain points.
My thanks to everyone who participated in this discussion.

Also, I meant to include use Glyphy in the suggestion by @cormullion, thanks!

1 Like