Switching to Juliaup for installation

I’m having trouble figuring out how to switch to Juliaup for installation of a new version of Julia with Visual Studio Code.

I ran

curl -fsSL https://install.julialang.org | sh
julia +1.10

At this point I saw that the recommendation was to uninstall previous versions of Juilia before Juliaup, but I am nervous to do so - what do I need to do to keep my packages with the prior versions?

Visual Studio Code for Julia for past versions finds the Julia environment for a given version automatically at:
user./julia/environments/vX.X

But no such folder exists for 1.10, even though I can open 1.10 via julia from the command line.

I tried a manual installation via the .dmg file on macOS 13.5, but this also doesn’t automatically create the environment folder for 1.10.

Any help would be appreciated.

Did you previously have 1.10 installed?

If you use julia +1.9 you should be running with the previous version and it should use your julia default environment from that version.

The environments/vX.X are only created on demand. So if you start julia with julia +1.10 and then use the package manager to add a package it should be created for you.

If you want to copy over your previously installed packages you can just copy the Project.toml (not the Manifest.toml that’s version specific) from environments/v1.9 to environments/v1.10.

3 Likes

Is this a typo or a misunderstanding? The correct path is

user/.julia/environments/vX.X