Status of SearchLight.jl

I’m in the process of setting up a database for my research team and since I’ve come to like Julia, I was really happy to see that the Genie.jl framework has SearchLight.jl to interface with databases. From the explanation on Genie framework website, it seemed like it was a decent choice for connect with databases. However, when I started looking at the documentation for SearchLight, I quickly realized it is rather sparse. Has anyone here used SearchLight and is it considered usable right now?

Thank you all for your time!

1 Like

It was tightly integrated with Genie. And I proposed it not to be at the time. Not meaning that it’s bad, I actually thought it might also be useful to others that do not use Genie, so it was split off.

FYI: There are however some other options, that may be better, or at least to look at, that I have not used (nor SearchLight.jl):

What do people consider the best option, with or without Genie?

SearchLight.jl is still most downloaded, maybe since best know by association, while it’s not at all downloaded as much as Genie itself (nor as much as later GenieFramework.jl, I didn’t compare to Stipple.jl):

https://pkgs.genieframework.com/#:~:text=Call%3A%20%2Fapi%2Fv1%2Fregions%20to%20get%20the%20list%20of%20regions,packages%20%2Fapi%2Fv1%2Fstats%20to%20query%20the%20download%20stats%2C%20ex

I’m not sure why, I thought the URL itself should indicate my choice of packages to compare, but it doesn’t (would be a good addition?), so you need to hand-pick the packages to compare. Possibly there are more similar, those were just off the top of my head.

FYI: There are also some alternatives to Genie (ecosystem), while it’s probably best and best known, Julia-only solution.

Dash is just recently up to 1.3.0, and before supporting Julia, it was for Python (and R), I believe (still) very popular for:

1 Like